Saturday, January 25, 2020

Sitting in the Throne of Jesus Revelation 3:21


John the apostle saw the vision of Jesus in chapter one of “Revelation”, and he began to write to the “seven churches in Asia”. He started with the church located in “Ephesus”, then the “church of Smyrna, the “church in Pergamos”, the “church in Thyatira”, “the church in Sardis”, “the church in Philadelphia” and finally the “church of the Laodiceans” where He told them, “As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten: be zealous therefore, and repent”. Jesus added, “Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me”, and in chapter three and verse twenty-one of Revelation Jesus told the “church of the Laodiceans” “to him that overcomes will I grant to sit with me in my throne” where we read:

To him that overcomes will I grant to sit with me in my throne,
even as I also overcame, and am set down with my Father in his throne.

The verse reads, To him that overcomes will I grant to sit with me in my throne, ...” John began with the words, “to him” which means “to the selfsame person whether male or female” “that overcomes” or “who carries off the victory, is victorious over all his foes and wins” “will I grant” which means “will Jesus give, bestow, supply, furnish, deliver and extend” “to sit” which means “to set, appoint and confer a kingdom” “with me” or “alongside Jesus” “in my throne” which means “within Jesus' chair of state which has a footstool and hence power belonging to Christ”. Jesus promised to “give” the right to “rule” to the person who “is victorious and wins”.

The verse continues, “... even as I also overcame, and am set down with my Father in his throne.” John added the words, “even as I also” which means “like and indeed as Jesus” “overcame” or “carried off the victory, was victorious over all his foes and won”, “and am set down” which means “and is appointed, fixed, sojourned, settled and conferred a kingdom” “with my Father” or “alongside God the Heavenly Father of Jesus” “in his throne” which refers to “God Almighty's chair of state and footstool and power”. Jesus referred to the way He “overcame” and was “seated upon His throne” in Heaven beside God the Father.

When we think through John's words in this verse, we note how Jesus commends and rewards people who “overcome” in this world. He likened it to His own “overcoming” and promised to allow those who “overcome” to sit with Him “in His throne” even as He sits with the Heavenly Father in His. The “church of the Laodiceans” saw themselves differently than Jesus did, and although Jesus exposed the truth concerning them, He still offered them the opportunity to “overcome” and sit “in His throne” with Him. God desires a relationship with every person through His Son Jesus regardless of how far off their personal assessment of themselves is against the truth, and He is willing to “grant” them the opportunity to “rule” upon a “throne” if they will “open the door” to their hearts and receive Him as “Savior and Lord”.

Next time we see John share how Jesus tells the “church of the Laodiceans” “he that has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says”, so read ahead, and we shall join together then.

Until tomorrow…there is more…

Look for the daily devotional book “Equipped for Battle – From Generation to Generation”, the marriage book “So, You Want to Be Married”, “One Year in the Sermon on the Mount” and the new poetry book "Random Mushrooms" in all major bookstore sites,
http://www.amazon.com ; http://www.barnesandnobles.com ; download to e-books, and find it locally at www.mrzlc.com/bookstore.






No comments:

Post a Comment