Friday, July 24, 2020

A Man Under Authority Matthew 8:9

Matthew shared how Jesus completed the Sermon on the Mount, and When he was come down from the mountain, great multitudes followed him. And, behold, there came a leper and worshiped him, saying, Lord, if you will, you can make me clean. And Jesus said unto him, See you tell no man; but go your way, show yourself to the priest, and offer the gift that Moses commanded, for a testimony unto them. And when Jesus was entered into Capernaum, there came unto him a centurion, beseeching him. And saying, Lord, my servant lies at home sick of the palsy, grievously tormented. And Jesus said unto him, I will come and heal him. The centurion answered and said, Lord, I am not worthy that you should come under my roof: but speak the word only, and my servant shall be healed.” In chapter eight and verse nine of his book, Matthew shared how the centurion told Jesus, “I am a man under authority” where we read:


For I am a man under authority, having soldiers under me: and I say to this 
man, Go, and he goes;

and to another, Come, and he comes; and to my servant, Do this, and he does it.

The verse reads, For I am a man under authority, having soldiers under me: and I say to this man, Go, and he goes; Matthew began with the word, “for” or “because, since and on account that” “I am a man” which means “the centurion is a male person” “under authority” or “beneath power, ability and strength with which one is endued which he either possesses or exercises”, “having soldiers” which refers to “the holding, owning and possessing of warriors” “under me” which means “beneath the centurion”: “and I say” or “and the centurion utters, declares and proclaims” “to this man” which means “toward a certain male person”, “Go” or “depart”, “and he goes” which means “and the servant departs”. The “centurion” told Jesus how he had “warriors” beneath his authority, and when he gave them instruction, they did as he said.

The verse goes on to say, and to another, Come, and he comes; and to my servant, Do this, and he does it.” Matthew continued with the words, “and to another” or “and to one more or one other soldier”, “come” which means “arise, come forth and show yourself”, “and he comes” or “and that warrior arises, comes forth and shows himself”; “and to my servant” which refers to “and to the centurion's attendant, slave or minister”, “do this” or “perform, produce and prepare this particular thing”, “and he does it” which means “and that servant performs, produces and prepares that particular thing”. Matthew shared how the “centurion” commanded both his “soldiers” and “servants”, and they did as he commanded .

When we meditate upon Matthew's words in this verse, we see how the “centurion” understood “rule and authority”. His life was filled with giving commands and instructions to those who were “beneath” him, and when he gave them instruction, they did as he said. God is the absolute authority of the universe, and He offers a relationship with people through His Son Jesus. Those who are wise shall understand His “authority”, and like this “centurion” shall submit their lives to Him as “Savior and Lord”.

Next time Matthew shares how, “when Jesus heard it, he marveled, so read ahead, and we shall join together then.

Until tomorrow…there is more…

Look for the daily devotional book “Equipped for Battle – From Generation to Generation”, the marriage book “So, You Want to Be Married”, “One Year in the Sermon on the Mount” and the new poetry book "Random Mushrooms Volumes I and II" and the new novel "Elizabeth County" in all major bookstore sites,
http://www.amazon.com ; http://www.barnesandnobles.com ; download to e-books, and find it locally at www.mrzlc.com/bookstore.








No comments:

Post a Comment