Sunday, September 13, 2020

My Servant Whom I Have Chosen - Matthew 12:18

Matthew the apostle wrote how Jesus healed a man with a “withered hand” in the synagogue, and afterward, the Pharisees went out, and held a council against him, how they might destroy him. But when Jesus knew it, he withdrew himself from there: and great multitudes followed him, and he healed them all; And charged them that they should not make him known: That it might be fulfilled which was spoken by Isaiah the prophet, saying”, and in chapter twelve and verse eighteen of his book, Matthew shared Isaiah's words, “Behold, my servant, whom I have chosen” where we read:

Behold my servant, whom I have chosen; my beloved, in whom my soul is well pleased:

I will put my spirit upon him, and he shall shew judgment to the Gentiles.

The verse reads, Behold my servant, whom I have chosen; my beloved, in whom my soul is well pleased: Matthew began with the word, “behold” which means “lo and see”, “my servant” or “God's attendant and minister”, “whom I have chosen” which means “who God selected and made a choice of”; “my beloved” or “God's esteemed, dear, favorite and worthy of love one”, “in whom” which means “within this certain One” “my soul” or “God's seat of the feelings, desires, affections and aversions” “is well pleased” which means “thinks it good, pleasurable and preferable”. Matthew shared from Isaiah chapter forty-two and verse one to show how Jesus was God's “chosen” One, “most loved” One and the One in whom He was “greatly pleased”.

The verse goes on to say, I will put my spirit upon him, and he shall show judgment to the Gentiles. Matthew continued with the words, “I will put” which means “God will place, set, fix and establish” “my spirit” or “God's power of knowing, desiring, deciding, and acting” “upon him” which means “on Jesus”, “and he shall show” or “and Jesus will demonstrate and display” “judgment” which means a sentence of condemnation, damnatory judgment and punishment “to the Gentiles” which refers to “toward the pagan, heathen, unbelieving and foreign nations not worshiping the true God”. Matthew shared how the “Messiah” would also be filled with God's “spirit” and would bring “judgment” upon the pagans and heathen who refuse and reject Him.

When we meditate upon Matthew's words in this verse, we discover the power of Jesus who is the Messiah. Jesus was God incarnate, and when people saw Jesus, they knew what the Heavenly Father is like. With Jesus' examples of power over physical and spiritual things, everyone should receive Him as “Savior and Lord”. Those who do will be saved for all eternity, but those who refuse to receive Him shall know the wrath and “judgment” that has been given to Him.

Next time Matthew shares how Jesus tells the people, “he shall not strive, nor cry”, so read ahead, and we shall join together then.

Until tomorrow…there is more…

Look for the daily devotional book “Equipped for Battle – From Generation to Generation”, the marriage book “So, You Want to Be Married”, “One Year in the Sermon on the Mount” and the new poetry book "Random Mushrooms Volumes I and II" and the new novel "Elizabeth County" in all major bookstore sites,
http://www.amazon.com ; http://www.barnesandnobles.com ; download to e-books, and find it locally at www.mrzlc.com/bookstore.







 

No comments:

Post a Comment