Saturday, March 12, 2022

All I Have is Yours - Luke 15:31

The beloved physician Luke wrote how Jesus said, “A certain man had two sons. And the younger of them said to his father, Father, give me the portion of goods that falls to me”, and after the younger son squandered everything, was destitute and feeding pigs, he returned to his home where his father began a celebration for his return. Jesus continued, “His elder son was in the field: and as he came and drew near to the house, he heard music and dancing. And he called one of the servants, and asked what these things meant. And he said unto him, Your brother is come; and your father has killed the fatted calf, because he has received him safe and sound. And he was angry, and would not go in: therefore came his father out, and intreated him. And he answering said to his father, Lo, these many years do I serve you, neither transgressed I at any time your commandment: and yet you never gave me a kid, that I might make merry with my friends: But as soon as this your son was come, which has devoured your living with harlots, you have killed for him the fatted calf”, and in chapter fifteen and verse thirty-one of his book Luke wrote how Jesus said the father answered the elder son by saying, “all that I have is yours” where we read:

And he said unto him, Son, you are ever with me, and all that I have is yours.

The verse reads, “And he said unto him, Son, you are ever with me, ... Luke began with the words, “and he said unto him” or “and the father uttered, declared and proclaimed to the elder son”, “Son” which means “male progeny and offspring”, “you are ever with me” or “you, elder son, are always and at all times alongside me, your father”. Luke shared how Jesus said the “father” confirmed to his “elder son” that he was “always” with him.

The verse continues, “... and all that I have is yours.” Luke added the words, “and all that I have” or “and each, every, the whole and everything that I, the father, own and possess” “is yours” which means “belongs to the elder son”. Luke shared how Jesus said the “father” told the “elder son” everything he owned belonged to him.

When we consider Luke's words in this verse, we discover the “father's” response to the “elder son”. He first affirmed the “elder son's” position with him, and secondly confirmed his provision for him. The “elder son” was already in a favored relationship with his “father”, and he never need worry about his economic situation. God's desire is to exalt every person to the status of being His “child”, and this is obtained by receiving His Son Jesus, (See John 1:12) God promises to take care of those who yield to Him throughout their lives, and those who are wise will understand the position and provision of this “earthly father” and yield themselves to God who desires to make them His own.

Next time Luke shares how Jesus said the father said to the elder son, “it was meet that we should make merry, and be glad” so read ahead, and we shall join together then.

Until tomorrow…there is more…

Look for the daily devotional book “Equipped for Battle – From Generation to Generation”, the marriage book “So, You Want to Be Married”, “One Year in the Sermon on the Mount” and the new poetry book "Random Mushrooms Volumes I and II" and the new novel "Elizabeth County" in all major bookstore sites,
http://www.amazon.com ; http://www.barnesandnobles.com ; download to e-books, and find it locally at www.mrzlc.com/bookstore. All references are from "Strongs Concordance".







 

No comments:

Post a Comment