Sunday, March 27, 2022

I Will Avenge Her - Luke 18:5

The beloved physician Luke wrote how Jesus, “spoke a parable unto them to this end, that men ought always to pray, and not to faint; Saying, There was in a city a judge, which feared not God, neither regarded man. And there was a widow in that city; and she came unto him, saying, Avenge me of my adversary. And he would not for a while: but afterward he said within himself, Though I fear not God, nor regard man ...”, and in chapter eighteen and verse five of his book Luke wrote how Jesus said the judge declares, “I will avenge her” where we read:

Yet because this widow troubles me, I will avenge her, lest by her continual coming she weary me.

The verse reads, “Yet because this widow troubles me, I will avenge her, ... Luke began with the words, “yet because this widow” or “indeed, truly and even as this woman whose husband passed away” “troubles me” which means “labors, pains and wearies me, the judge”, “I will avenge her” or “I, the judge, will protect, defend, punish and vindicate for the widow”. Luke shared how Jesus told how the “judge” decided to “vindicate” the “widow” of her adversary because she “labored and wearied” Him.

The verse continues, “... lest by her continual coming she weary me.” Luke added the words, “lest by her continual coming” or “unless and except the widow's final state and terminal act of appearing and arising before the judge” “she weary me” which means “the widow annoy, buffet, and subdue into compliance me, the judge”. Luke shared how Jesus said the “judge” determined the “widow” would “annoy” him by her persistent asking if he did not fulfill her request.

When we consider Luke's words in this verse, we learn how the persistent beckoning of this “widow” wore down the resistance of the “judge”. The idea was she perpetually asked him for what she wanted, and those hearing these words should keep in mind this is Jesus' illustration for helping people to know how they should “pray and not faint”. In other words, keep on asking for that which a person desires from God. God knows what every person needs before they ask Him, however, He desires to have a loving personal relationship with them through His Son Jesus. When they relate to Him in this manner of prayer, they shall find that He enjoys their persistence and will help them according to His perfect plan and purpose.

Next time Luke shares how Jesus tells His disciples, “hear what the unjust judge says”, so read ahead, and we shall join together then.

Until tomorrow…there is more…

Look for the daily devotional book “Equipped for Battle – From Generation to Generation”, the marriage book “So, You Want to Be Married”, “One Year in the Sermon on the Mount” and the new poetry book "Random Mushrooms Volumes I and II" and the new novel "Elizabeth County" in all major bookstore sites,
http://www.amazon.com ; http://www.barnesandnobles.com ; download to e-books, and find it locally at www.mrzlc.com/bookstore. All references are from "Strongs Concordance".







 

No comments:

Post a Comment