Sunday, March 13, 2022

Resolved What to Do - Luke 16:4

The beloved physician Luke wrote how Jesus said, “There was a certain rich man, which had a steward; and the same was accused unto him that he had wasted his goods. And he called him, and said unto him, How is it that I hear this of you? give an account of your stewardship; for you may be no longer steward. Then the steward said within himself, What shall I do? for my lord takes away from me the stewardship: I cannot dig; to beg I am ashamed”, and in chapter sixteen and verse four of his book Luke wrote how Jesus said steward proclaimed, “I am resolved what to do” where we read:

I am resolved what to do, that, when I am put out of the stewardship,

they may receive me into their houses.

The verse reads, “I am resolved what to do, that, when I am put out of the stewardship, ... Luke began with the words, “I am resolved what to do” or “I, the steward, know, understand and am acquainted with what to make ready, prepare and produce”, “that, when I am put out” which means “so at the time and moment I, the steward, am removed from office or fired” “of the stewardship” or “from the managing of the household for the rich man”. Luke shared how Jesus said the “steward”, after speaking to himself, decided what he needed to do so when he was “removed from office” people would respond to him in the following way.

The verse goes on to say, “they may receive me into their houses.” Luke continued with the words, “they may receive me” or “people will accept favorably, grant access and embrace the steward” “into their houses” which means “in the people's homes, dwelling places and habitations”. Luke shared how Jesus said the “steward” would act in a way that would ensure those he performed works for would receive him in their homes.

When we think through Luke's words in this verse, we discover the “steward's” solution to his dilemma. He purposed to do things so when he was let go from his position, the people he did them for would let him stay in their homes. This “wise” preparation for a “bad time” was employed by Jesus to share how a person should “prepare” for “meeting” God. God wants every person to have a personal relationship with Him through His Son Jesus, and when they yield their lives to Him as their “Savior and Lord”, they have “prepared” in advance for their giving an “account” to Him.

Next time Luke shares how Jesus said the steward, “called every one of his lord's debtors unto him” so read ahead, and we shall join together then.


Until tomorrow…there is more…

Look for the daily devotional book “Equipped for Battle – From Generation to Generation”, the marriage book “So, You Want to Be Married”, “One Year in the Sermon on the Mount” and the new poetry book "Random Mushrooms Volumes I and II" and the new novel "Elizabeth County" in all major bookstore sites,
http://www.amazon.com ; http://www.barnesandnobles.com ; download to e-books, and find it locally at www.mrzlc.com/bookstore. All references are from "Strongs Concordance".

 







 

No comments:

Post a Comment