Sunday, March 13, 2022

What Shall I Do? - Luke 16:3

The beloved physician Luke wrote how Jesus said, “There was a certain rich man, which had a steward; and the same was accused unto him that he had wasted his goods. And he called him, and said unto him, How is it that I hear this of you? give an account of your stewardship; for you may be no longer steward”, and in chapter sixteen and verse three of his book Luke wrote how Jesus said the steward asked, “what shall I do?” where we read:

Then the steward said within himself, What shall I do?

for my lord takes away from me the stewardship: I cannot dig; to beg I am ashamed.

The verse reads, “Then the steward said within himself, What shall I do? Luke began with the words, “then the steward said” or “therefore, wherefore, consequently and on that account the manager of the household uttered, declared and proclaimed” “within himself” which means “inside his own self”, “what shall I do” or “what will I, the steward, make ready, produce, prepare, act rightly, do well and carry out”? Luke shared how Jesus said the “steward” began to talk to himself and question what he would do about his situation.

The verse continues, “for my lord takes away from me the stewardship: I cannot dig; to beg I am ashamed.” Luke added the words, “for my lord” or “because, since and on account that my, the steward's, master” “takes away from me” which means “removes and carries off from the steward” “the stewardship” or “the management of his household”: “I cannot dig” which means “I, the steward, and unable to dig in the ground”; “to beg” or “to ask alms again and again” “I am ashamed” which means “I, the steward, am disfigured, dishonored and suffused with shame”. Luke shared how Jesus said the “steward” knew his “master” was “firing” him from being the “manager of his household”, and he knew he was unable to “dig” or “beg”.

When we meditate upon Luke's words in this verse, we learn how Jesus said the “steward” began to talk to himself, and he reasoned concerning what would happen to him after he was fired. He thought about “digging”, but he was physically unable to do so, and he was too “embarrassed” to “beg” from people. Jesus will have more to say about this “steward” in the next few verses, but for now let it suffice us to know Jesus knows the “sins” and capabilities of every person, and He wants to “save” them. Those who are wise will consider their current situation and appeal to the Lord to forgive them for their “sins” and restore their lives to what they could be.

Next time Luke shares how Jesus said the steward says, “I am resolved what to do” so read ahead, and we shall join together then.

Until tomorrow…there is more…

Look for the daily devotional book “Equipped for Battle – From Generation to Generation”, the marriage book “So, You Want to Be Married”, “One Year in the Sermon on the Mount” and the new poetry book "Random Mushrooms Volumes I and II" and the new novel "Elizabeth County" in all major bookstore sites,
http://www.amazon.com ; http://www.barnesandnobles.com ; download to e-books, and find it locally at www.mrzlc.com/bookstore. All references are from "Strongs Concordance".







 

No comments:

Post a Comment