Monday, September 26, 2022

Jesus' Troubled Soul - John 12:27

The apostle John wrote how Jesus said, He that loves his life shall lose it; and he that hates his life in this world shall keep it unto life eternal. If any man serve me, let him follow me; and where I am, there shall also my servant be: if any man serve me, him will my Father honor”, and in chapter twelve and verse twenty-seven of his book John shared how Jesus said, “now is my soul troubled” where we read:

Now is my soul troubled; and what shall I say? Father, save me from this hour:

but for this cause came I unto this hour.

The verse reads, “Now is my soul troubled; and what shall I say? Father, save me from this hour: John began with Jesus' words, “now is my soul troubled” which means “presently and at this time exists my, Jesus', seat of the feelings, desires, affections and aversions as agitated, disquieted and made restless”; “and what shall I say” or “and what words will I, Jesus, utter, declare or proclaim”? “Father” which refers to “Jesus' Heavenly Father God”, “save me from this hour” or “rescue and keep me, Jesus, safe away from this certain or definite time or season”. John shared how Jesus declared His “soul” to be “disquieted and restless” as He questioned whether He should ask His Heavenly Father God to “rescue” Him from this “time and season”.

The verse goes on to say, “but for this cause came I unto this hour.” John continued with Jesus' words, “but for this cause” which means “however, nonetheless, notwithstanding and moreover on account of this reason and these grounds” “came I unto this hour” or “Jesus arose, appeared and came forth to this time and season”. John shared how Jesus said the “hour” He was facing was the “reason” He came to the world.

When we consider John's words in this verse, we learn that the “soul” of Jesus was “disquieted” concerning what He was going to endure. Mankind needed to be saved from their sins which separated them from God, and Jesus would pay the price of death so people could have a personal relationship with His Father God. He could have prayed for God to “rescue” Him from this trouble, but He knew this was the reason He came to the earth. God loves everyone, and He sent His Son Jesus to the earth to die for the sins of every person. Those who surrender their lives to Him will be forgiven of their sins and inherit everlasting life with God. Let all who read these words understand how Jesus could have prayed to be rescued, but He gave His life that they might be saved.

Next time John shares how Jesus prays, “Father, glorify your name”, so read ahead, and we shall join together then.

Until tomorrow…there is more…

Look for the daily devotional book “Equipped for Battle – From Generation to Generation”, the marriage book “So, You Want to Be Married”, “One Year in the Sermon on the Mount” and the new poetry book "Random Mushrooms Volumes I and II" and the new novel "Elizabeth County" in all major bookstore sites, http://www.amazon.com ; http://www.barnesandnobles.com ; download to e-books, and find it locally at www.mrzlc.com/bookstore. All references are from "Strongs Concordance".








 

No comments:

Post a Comment