Thursday, August 1, 2019

A Thorn in the Flesh 2 Corinthians 12:7


Paul the apostle told the church members, “though I would desire to glory, I shall not be a fool; for I will say the truth: but now I forbear, lest any man should think of me above that which he sees me to be, or that he hears of me”, and in chapter twelve and verse seven of Second Corinthians, Paul wrote, “lest I should be exalted above measure through the abundance of the revelations, there was given to me a thorn in the flesh” where we read:

And lest I should be exalted above measure through the abundance of the revelations, there was given to me a thorn in the flesh, the messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I should be exalted above measure.

The verse begins, “And lest I should be exalted above measure through the abundance of the revelations, ...” Paul began with the words, “and lest” which means “and albeit, that and not that” “I should be exalted above measure” or “that Paul should be lifted up, raised, exalted and haughty” which “through the abundance” or “throwing beyond, superior, excellence and pre-eminent” “of the revelations” which refers to “laying bare, disclosure of truth, instruction, manifestation and appearance”. Paul was given “pre-eminent disclosures” from God, and they had the potential of make him prideful.

The verse continues, “...there was given to me a thorn in the flesh, the messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I should be exalted above measure. Paul added the words, “there was given” which means “there was granted, supplied, furnished and delivered” “to me” or “toward Paul” “a thorn” which means “a pointed piece of wood, a pale, stake or splinter” “in the flesh” which refer to “his physical body”, “the messenger” or “the envoy, one who is sent or angel” “of Satan” which means “adversary” and is “the prince of evil spirits and the inveterate adversary of God and Christ” “to buffet me” which means “to strike or give a blow with the fist, to maltreat with violence and contumely”, “lest I should be exalted above measure” or “that Paul should be lifted up, raised, exalted and haughty”. Paul was humbled by being “continually stricken and beaten” by a “tent stake” in his “body” which he identified as “Satan's envoy”.

When we consider these words of Paul, we see how he encountered the “messenger of Satan” because he was given the advantage of “visions and revelations” from God. Those who are blessed in spiritual areas are often given a “tent stake” in their lives to keep them humble. Satan's “messengers” are used to impede pride, and Paul was no exception. Jesus Christ came into the world to save sinners, and some people are used mightily by God to share this gospel message. Lest they be lifted up in pride, God sometimes allows them to experience a life altering agitation within their “fleshly bodies”.

Next time Paul tells the church members, “for this thing I begged the Lord three times, so read ahead, and we shall join together then,

Until tomorrow…there is more…

Look for the daily devotional book “Equipped for Battle – From Generation to Generation”, the marriage book “So, You Want to Be Married”, “One Year in the Sermon on the Mount” and the new poetry book "Random Mushrooms" in all major bookstore sites,
http://www.amazon.com ; http://www.barnesandnobles.com ; download to e-books, and find it locally at www.mrzlc.com/bookstore.






No comments:

Post a Comment