Thursday, August 1, 2019

I Shall Not be a Fool 2 Corinthians 12:6


Paul the apostle told the church members about his “visions and revelations” and shared how, “he was caught up into paradise, and heard unspeakable words, which it is not lawful for a man to utter”. He added, “of such an one will I glory: yet of myself I will not glory, but in my infirmities.” In chapter twelve and verse six of Second Corinthians, Paul wrote, “I shall not be a fool” where we read:

For though I would desire to glory, I shall not be a fool; for I will say the truth: but now I forbear, lest any man should think of me above that which he sees me to be, or that he hears of me.

The verse begins, “For though I would desire to glory, I shall not be a fool; for I will say the truth:” Paul began with the words, “for” which means “even as, indeed, no doubt, seeing then, verily and therefore” “though I would desire” or “if or in case Paul had in mind, intended, resolved, determined, purposed, desired or wished” “to glory” which means “vaunt, boast, joy or rejoice”, “I shall not be a fool” or “Paul would not be as a person without reason, senseless, foolish, stupid, without reflection or intelligence or acting rashly”; “for I will say” which means “even as, indeed, no doubt, seeing then, verily and therefore Paul would utter, proclaim and declare” “the truth” or “that which is true, reality or fact”. Even if Paul wanted to “boast”, he would not be as a “senseless irrational” person because he was telling the truth.

The verse goes on to say, “but now I forbear, lest any man should think of me above that which he sees me to be, or that he hears of me.. Paul began with the word, “but” which is a disassociation conjunction that means what is about to be written takes precedence over what was just stated “now I forbear” or “at this time Paul spared and abstained”, “lest any man” or “still otherwise any other person whether male or female” “should think of me” which means “would count, reckon, compute, calculate and take into account of Paul” “above that which he sees” or “beyond and more than that person discerns, perceives and discovers” “me to be” which means “Paul to exist as”, “or that he hears” which means “or that that person is endowed with the faculty of hearing, not deaf, attends to, considers, comprehends and understands” “of me” which refers to “Paul”. Paul did not “boast” about himself because he did not want people to “perceive” or “understand” him to be more than he was.

When we think through these words of Paul, though he desired to “boast” concerning himself, he would not become a “fool” for doing so. Paul did not desire for people to think of him for more than he was. Paul was saved by the “grace” of God in the same manner as everyone who has a personal relationship with Jesus Christ. Though there may be occasion to “boast” concerning great things we have experienced or accomplished, we should refrain, not be as “fools” and give all “glory” to God Almighty for the “great things” He has done.

Next time Paul tells the church members, “lest I should be exalted above measure...there was given to me a thorn in the fleshand more, so read ahead, and we shall join together then,

Until tomorrow…there is more…

Look for the daily devotional book “Equipped for Battle – From Generation to Generation”, the marriage book “So, You Want to Be Married”, “One Year in the Sermon on the Mount” and the new poetry book "Random Mushrooms" in all major bookstore sites,
http://www.amazon.com ; http://www.barnesandnobles.com ; download to e-books, and find it locally at www.mrzlc.com/bookstore.






No comments:

Post a Comment