Friday, August 2, 2019

Pleasure in Infirmities 2 Corinthians 12:10


Paul the apostle told the church members, “My grace is sufficient for you: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me, and in chapter twelve and verse ten of Second Corinthians, Paul wrote, “therefore I take pleasure in infirmities” where we read:

Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions,
in distresses for Christ's sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong.

The verse begins, “Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions” Paul began with the words, “therefore” which means “on account of, consequently an for which cause” “I take pleasure” or “Paul thought it good, chose, determined, decided willingly and preferred” “in infirmities” which refers to “want of strength, weakness, feebleness and frailty”, “in reproaches” or “insolence, impudence, pride and haughtiness” “in necessities” which means “in calamities, distresses and straits”, “in persecutions” or “maltreatment, oppression, victimization and ill-treatment”. Paul “thought it a good thing” to have “difficulties, troubles, calamities and ill-treatment”.

The verse goes on to say, “... in distresses for Christ's sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong. . Paul began with the words, “in distresses” which means “dire calamity and extreme affliction” “for Christ's sake” which means “beyond and over the anointed One, the Messiah and the Son of God's behalf”: “for when I am weak” which means “because at the time when Paul was feeble, without strength and powerless”, “then” or “at the time” “I am strong” which means “Paul was mighty, powerful and with ability”. Paul also endured “dire calamities” because of Jesus Christ, and he realized when he was “feeble and powerless”, he was actually “mighty and powerful”.

When we consider these words of Paul, we see how his “afflictions” and “weaknesses” made him strong in Jesus. At the time when he was the “weakest”, he relied upon the “grace” and “strength” of the Lord. “Infirmities” became his blessing because God showed Himself “strong” in them. Jesus Christ desires a relationship with everyone who will believe and trust in Him, and when they recognize their “weak” ways including “infirmities, reproaches, necessities, persecutions and distresses”, they should “rejoice” in the power and strength that are given by Him.

Next time Paul tells the church members, “I am become a fool in glorying, so read ahead, and we shall join together then,

Until tomorrow…there is more…

Look for the daily devotional book “Equipped for Battle – From Generation to Generation”, the marriage book “So, You Want to Be Married”, “One Year in the Sermon on the Mount” and the new poetry book "Random Mushrooms" in all major bookstore sites,
http://www.amazon.com ; http://www.barnesandnobles.com ; download to e-books, and find it locally at www.mrzlc.com/bookstore.






No comments:

Post a Comment