Tuesday, August 6, 2019

I Write to Them Which Have Sinned 2 Corinthians 13:2

Paul the apostle told the church members in Corinth, “This is the third time I am coming to you”, and he added, “In the mouth of two or three witnesses shall every word be established.” In chapter thirteen and verse two of Second Corinthians, Paul told the church members, “I write to them which heretofore have sinned” where we read:

I told you before, and foretell you, as if I were present, the second time; and being absent now I write to them which heretofore have sinned, and to all other, that, if I come again, I will not spare:
The verse begins, “I told you before, and foretell you, as if I were present, the second time;Paul began with the words, “I told you before” or “Paul uttered, declared and proclaimed to the church members previously”, “and foretell you” which means “predict and tell beforehand”, “as if I were present” which refers to “as though Paul was at hand and arrived”, “the second time” or “on the second occasion”. Paul declared and predicted to the church members how his visit would be like when he was with them the second time.

The verse goes on to say, and being absent now I write to them which heretofore have sinned, and to all other, that, if I come again, I will not spare: Paul continued with the words, “and being absent” which means “and as gone away and departed” “now” or “at this present time” “I write” which means “Paul expressed in written characters” “to them which heretofore have sinned” or “toward those people who before and already had erred and made mistakes”, “and to all other” “” “to each, every, the whole and everyone else”, “that” or “who”, “if I come again” which means “whether Paul would arrive, appear and be present another time” “I will not spare” or “Paul would not abstain, forbear or treat leniently”. Though Paul was not present with the church members, he wrote in advance to those who were engaging in “sinful behaviors”, however, if they did not repent, he would not “abstain or treat them leniently”.

When we meditate these words of Paul, we see how serious he was about the “sinful behavior” exhibited by some people within the church. He felt it was important enough to address in advance of his arrival among the church members, and if they did not turn from their sins, he would not be “lenient” to them when he arrived. It is clear that “a little leaven, leavens the whole lump”, and Jesus Christ desires that we address “sin” in a manner that is pleasing to Him. May all who read these words take heed, and should there be “sin” in the church, let it be put away immediately.

Next time Paul tells the church members, a proof of Christ speaking in me, which to you-ward is not weak, but is mighty in you. , so read ahead, and we shall join together then,

Until tomorrow…there is more…

Look for the daily devotional book “Equipped for Battle – From Generation to Generation”, the marriage book “So, You Want to Be Married”, “One Year in the Sermon on the Mount” and the new poetry book "Random Mushrooms" in all major bookstore sites,
http://www.amazon.com ; http://www.barnesandnobles.com ; download to e-books, and find it locally at www.mrzlc.com/bookstore.







No comments:

Post a Comment