Thursday, August 1, 2019

Begging the Lord Three Times 2 Corinthians 12:8


Paul the apostle told the church members, “lest I should be exalted above measure through the abundance of the revelations, there was given to me a thorn in the flesh, the messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I should be exalted above measure”, and in chapter twelve and verse eight of Second Corinthians, Paul wrote, “for this thing I begged the Lord three times” where we read:

For this thing I begged the Lord three times, that it might depart from me.

The verse begins, “For this thing I begged the Lord three times, ...” Paul began with the words, “for this thing” which means “in behalf of and for the sake of this one” “I begged” or “Paul called to his side, summoned, addresses, entreated and beseeched” “the Lord” which refers to “he to whom a person or thing belongs, about which he has power of deciding; master and the title given to God the Messiah” “three times” or “on three occasions”. Paul “implored” God “on three different occasions” to for his “thorn in the flesh”.

The verse goes on to say, “... that it might depart from me.. Paul began with the words, “that it might depart” which means “that the thorn may stand off, be caused to withdraw and remove” “from me” which means “away from Paul”. Paul desired for his “thorn in the flesh” to be removed.

When we meditate upon these words of Paul, we see how this “thorn” which Paul endured was not desired by him at all. He pled with God to “remove” it on “three” different occasions. Paul suffered from this physical malady even though he was responsible to share the “gospel of Jesus Christ” with everyone he encountered. Those who receive abundant “visions and revelations” may also encounter a “thorn”, and when they do, they shall desire that it be withdrawn.

Next time Paul tells the church members, “my grace is sufficient for you, so read ahead, and we shall join together then,

Until tomorrow…there is more…

Look for the daily devotional book “Equipped for Battle – From Generation to Generation”, the marriage book “So, You Want to Be Married”, “One Year in the Sermon on the Mount” and the new poetry book "Random Mushrooms" in all major bookstore sites,
http://www.amazon.com ; http://www.barnesandnobles.com ; download to e-books, and find it locally at www.mrzlc.com/bookstore.






No comments:

Post a Comment