Monday, August 30, 2021

Is it I? - Mark 14:19

Mark wrote, “And as they sat and did eat, Jesus said, Verily I say unto you, One of you which eats with me shall betray me”, and in chapter fourteen and verse nineteen of his book, Mark how how the disciples of Jesus ask, “Is it I?” where we read:

And they began to be sorrowful, and to say unto him one by one, Is it I? and another said, Is it I?

The verse reads, “And they began to be sorrowful, and to say unto him one by one, Is it I?” Mark began with the words, “and they began” which means “and Jesus' twelve disciples started and made a beginning” “to be sorrowful” or “of grieving, being in heaviness and affected with sadness”, “and say unto him” which means “and uttered, declared and proclaimed to Jesus”, “one by one” or “each particular and certain one by each particular and certain one”, “Is it I?” or “am I the one or is it me”? Mark shared how all of the twelve disciples of Jesus were “grieving and sad” as one by one they asked Jesus if they were the one who would betray Him.

The verse continues, “...and another said, Is it I? Mark added the words, “and another said” which means “and one other of the twelve disciples uttered, declared, proclaimed and asked”, “Is it I?” or “am I the one or is it me”? Mark shared how each of the other disciples questioned Jesus as to whether they were the one who would betray Him.

When we think through Mark's words in this verse, we see the reaction of Jesus' twelve disciples to His declaration that one of them would betray Him. This indeed was the proper reaction, however, it appears that none of them actually knew if they were the one who would actually “betray” Him. Because they had been around Jesus for some three years now, and they were under His tutelage during that time, we might not be able to comprehend that one of them would “deliver” Jesus over to His opposition. God knows all people, and His desire is to “save” them from their “sinful” lives. Were it not for the grace of God, every person would “betray” Jesus, and only those who turn from the “errors and mistakes” and yield to Him will be “saved” and receive everlasting life from God.

Next time Mark shares how Jesus answers, “Is is one of the twelve, that dips with me in the dish”, so read ahead, and we shall join together then.

Until tomorrow…there is more…

Look for the daily devotional book “Equipped for Battle – From Generation to Generation”, the marriage book “So, You Want to Be Married”, “One Year in the Sermon on the Mount” and the new poetry book "Random Mushrooms Volumes I and II" and the new novel "Elizabeth County" in all major bookstore sites,
http://www.amazon.com ; http://www.barnesandnobles.com ; download to e-books, and find it locally at www.mrzlc.com/bookstore. All references are from "Strongs Concordance".







 

No comments:

Post a Comment