Saturday, December 25, 2021

Jesus Acknowledges the Woman Kissing His Feet - Luke 7:45

Luke the beloved physician shared how Jesus told Simon the Pharisee, “There was a certain creditor which had two debtors: the one owed five hundred pence, and the other fifty. And when they had nothing to pay, he frankly forgave them both. Tell me therefore, which of them will love him most? Simon answered and said, I suppose that he, to whom he forgave most. And he said unto him, You have rightly judged. And he turned to the woman, and said unto Simon, See you this woman? I entered into your house, you gave me no water for my feet: but she has washed my feet with tears, and wiped them with the hairs of her head, and in chapter seven and verse forty-five of his book Luke shared how the woman, “has not ceased to kiss my feet” where we read:

You gave me no kiss: but this woman since the time I came in has not ceased to kiss my feet.

The verse reads, “You gave me no kiss:” Luke began with the words, “you gave me” or “you, Simon, provide or granted to Jesus” “no kiss” which means “no fraternally affectionate kiss as a sign of welcome”. Luke shared how Jesus noted how Simon did not greet Him affectionately with a “physical kiss” when He made entrance into his home.

The verse continues, “but this woman since the time I came in has not ceased to kiss my feet.” Luke added the words, “but this woman” which means “however, nonetheless and notwithstanding the woman who washed Jesus' feet with her tears and hair” “since the time I came in” or “from the moment Jesus made entrance into Simon's home” “has not ceased” which means “has not interposed a delay, intermitted or left off” “to kiss my feet” or “to fraternally and affectionately kiss Jesus' physical feet”. Luke shared how Jesus told Simon the woman who washed his feet with her tears and hair did not “delay” or “leave” from washing His feet from the time He entered Simon's home.

When we meditate upon Luke's words in this verse, we see how Jesus acknowledged this woman's washing of His feet. This humble act, performed out of an immense respect and awe for Jesus, was an outward expression of the heart of this woman. In other words, her heart was so tender toward Jesus that she was overwhelmed and began to weep as she encountered Him. Simon, on the other hand, was not tender toward Jesus even so as to offer Him water to wash His feet. Those who truly encounter the “Savior and Lord” of the world, Jesus, for who He is and His offer of forgiveness of sins and everlasting life with God will be unable to restrain themselves from bowing before Him, weeping and extending to Him worship He so deserves.

Next time Luke shares how Jesus acknowledges how the woman, “has anointed my feet with ointment”, so read ahead, and we shall join together then.

Until tomorrow…there is more…

Look for the daily devotional book “Equipped for Battle – From Generation to Generation”, the marriage book “So, You Want to Be Married”, “One Year in the Sermon on the Mount” and the new poetry book "Random Mushrooms Volumes I and II" and the new novel "Elizabeth County" in all major bookstore sites,
http://www.amazon.com ; http://www.barnesandnobles.com ; download to e-books, and find it locally at www.mrzlc.com/bookstore. All references are from "Strongs Concordance".







 

No comments:

Post a Comment