Tuesday, November 22, 2022

My Lord and My God - John 20:28

John the apostle wrote how, “Thomas, one of the twelve, called Didymus, was not with them when Jesus came. The other disciples therefore said unto him, We have seen the Lord. But he said unto them, Except I shall see in his hands the print of the nails, and put my finger into the print of the nails, and thrust my hand into his side, I will not believe. And after eight days again his disciples were within, and Thomas with them: then came Jesus, the doors being shut, and stood in the midst, and said, Peace be unto you. Then said he to Thomas, Reach here your finger, and behold my hands; and reach here your hand, and thrust it into my side: and be not faithless, but believing”, and in chapter twenty and verse twenty-eight of his book John shared how Thomas said to Jesus, “my Lord and my God” where we read:

And Thomas answered and said unto him, My Lord and my God.

The verse begins, “And Thomas answered and said unto him, ...” John began with the words, “and Thomas answered” which means “and Thomas whose name means a twin responded and began to speak” “and said unto him” or “and uttered, declared and proclaimed to him, Jesus”. John shared how “Thomas” began to respond to Jesus' opportunity to extend his finger and hand to touch His wounds.

The verse goes on to say, “My Lord and my God.” John continued with the words, “My Lord” or “my, Thomas', One to whom a person or thing belongs, about which he has power of deciding; master, and the title given to God the Messiah” “and my God” which means “and my, Thomas', Godhead bodily and trinity which is comprised of God the Father, Christ the Son and the Holy Spirit”. John shared how “Thomas” declared Jesus to be his “Lord and God” after Jesus revealed Himself to Him.

When we consider John's words in this verse, we learn how “Thomas” needed to “see” Jesus before He believed in Him, and now that Jesus appeared and challenged him, “Thomas” declared Jesus to be his “Lord and God”. There are many people who want to “see” Jesus before they believe in Him, and this exposes very little “faith” in that individual. Jesus will have something to say about that in our next verse, but for now let us understand that God gave us the entire Bible to reveal His plan of redemption and salvation through His Son Jesus. (See Romans 10:17) Those who put their faith and trust in Jesus will be forgiven of their sins and granted everlasting life with God in Heaven. Those who are wise will call Jesus “My Lord and My God” without having to see Him and spend all eternity looking into His face.

Next time John shares how Jesus says, “Thomas, because you have seen me, you have believed: Blessed are they that have not seen, and yet have believed”, so read ahead, and we shall join together then.

Until tomorrow…there is more…

Look for the daily devotional book “Equipped for Battle – From Generation to Generation”, the marriage book “So, You Want to Be Married”, “One Year in the Sermon on the Mount” and the new poetry book "Random Mushrooms Volumes I and II" and the new novel "Elizabeth County" in all major bookstore sites, http://www.amazon.com ; http://www.barnesandnobles.com ; download to e-books, and find it locally at www.mrzlc.com/bookstore. All references are from "Strongs Concordance".







 

No comments:

Post a Comment