Sunday, November 20, 2022

Touch Me Not - John 20:17

John the apostle wrote after Jesus was dead, buried and resurrected how Mary Magdalene, Simon Peter and John went to His tomb and discovered His body was not there. The disciples went home, but, “Mary stood without at the sepulcher weeping: and as she wept, she stooped down, and looked into the sepulcher, And saw two angels in white sitting, the one at the head, and the other at the feet, where the body of Jesus had lain. And they said unto her, Woman, why are you weeping? She said unto them, Because they have taken away my Lord, and I know not where they have laid him. And when she had thus said, she turned herself back, and saw Jesus standing, and knew not that it was Jesus. Jesus said unto her, Woman, why are you weeping? whom do you seek? She, supposing him to be the gardener, said unto him, Sir, if you have borne him away, tell me where you have laid him, and I will take him away. Jesus said unto her, Mary. She turned herself, and said unto him, Rabboni; which is to say, Master”, and in chapter twenty and verse seventeen of his book John shared how Jesus tells Mary, “touch me not; for I am not yet ascended to my Father” where we read:

Jesus said unto her, Touch me not; for I am not yet ascended to my Father: but go to my brethren, and say unto them, I ascend unto my Father, and your Father; and to my God, and your God.

The verse begins, “Jesus said unto her, Touch me not; for I am not yet ascended to my Father:” John began with the words, “Jesus said unto her” which means “the Son of God, the Savior of mankind and God incarnate whose name means Jehovah is Salvation uttered, declared and proclaimed to her, Mary”, “touch me not” or “do not cling, adhere and fasten yourself to me, Jesus”; “for I am not yet ascended” which means “because, since and on account that I, Jesus, have not risen, mounted up or sprung up” “to my Father” or “toward my, Jesus', Heavenly Father God”. John shared how Jesus told “Mary” not to “cling to” Him because He had “not yet” risen to His “Heavenly Father”.

The verse continues, “but go to my brethren, and say unto them, I ascend unto my Father, and your Father; and to my God, and your God.” John added the words, “but go to my brethren” or “however, nonetheless, notwithstanding and moreover depart and leave to my, Jesus, brothers or disciples”, “and say unto them” which means “and utter, declare and proclaim to them, His disciples”, “I ascend unto my Father” or “I, Jesus, will rise, mount and spring up to my, Jesus', Heavenly Father God”, “and your Father” which means “and your, Heavenly Father”; “and to my God” or “and toward my, Jesus', Godhead bodily and trinity which is comprised of God the Father, Christ the Son and the Holy Spirit”, “and your God” which means “and your, disciples', Godhead bodily and trinity which is comprised of God the Father, Christ the Son and the Holy Spirit”. John shared how Jesus instructed “Mary” to go to His disciples and tell them that He was going to “rise” to His and their “Heavenly Father God”.

When we think through John's words in this verse, we learn how “Mary” “clung” to Jesus when she knew who He was. He instructed her to release Him and go to His disciples to tell them that He was going to rise to His Heavenly Father. Jesus' time on the earth was not finished, and He was soon to return to His Heavenly Father in Heaven. He died for the sins of the world and rose from the grave to provide everlasting life to every person who believes and trusts in Him. Those who carefully consider what Jesus said to “Mary” should understand that He “ascended” to His Father to provide access to God in Heaven for all who submit to Him.

Next time John shares how, “Mary Magdalene came and told the disciples that she had seen the Lord”, so read ahead, and we shall join together then.

Until tomorrow…there is more…

Look for the daily devotional book “Equipped for Battle – From Generation to Generation”, the marriage book “So, You Want to Be Married”, “One Year in the Sermon on the Mount” and the new poetry book "Random Mushrooms Volumes I and II" and the new novel "Elizabeth County" in all major bookstore sites, http://www.amazon.com ; http://www.barnesandnobles.com ; download to e-books, and find it locally at www.mrzlc.com/bookstore. All references are from "Strongs Concordance".

 







No comments:

Post a Comment