Friday, November 19, 2021

Forgive Me

 

Seated with an older man

deep lines upon his face

the aged years and troubled times

had fast long forged their place


With sullen look and quite despair

his words began to speak

as memories did flood his mind

and thus rose toward their peak


I cannot now remember all

those my life somehow harmed

and yet I feel the need to share

my deep regrets alarmed


To those I did not thank enough

for all their kindness shared

attending to my benefit

for all their burdens beared


My parents sacrifice and thrust

maintained my life quite well

twas I remise to their commit

my thankfulness unquelled


To ancestors both near and far

who lineaged forth my birth

those famed and yet unknown to me

while making time on earth


To friends and family damaged ways

brought grief and sorrow there

my life a selfish venture kept

without regard their care


Relationships I've had a few

with depths of love unfurled

with broken hearts and tainted paths

caused by conceited world


Perhaps there's one I did not see

my mind did not perceive

whom I did err within my past

I thus knew not twas thee



I ask of thee forgive me too

for I knew not my wrong

I sorrow that I caused you hurt

and thankless lived forelong


I meant my best performed toward you

put forth with all my heart

yet sometimes sinful flesh did fail

and I did sin impart


And should you be the ones I've hurt

I ask forgive of me

I dare not tread toward my grave

without thus thanking thee


And lest I be remiss to note

Creator of my soul

who gave me breath that I might live

my gratefulness unfolds


I know deserve I not thy grace

I merit not thy lien

my sorrowed plea doth this rescript

to beg forgive of me


With head bent low and held in hands

the old man then did cry

his thankless life did he regret

his narcissistic pride


 

No comments:

Post a Comment