Thursday, January 20, 2022

Let Me First Go Bid Them Farewell - Luke 9:61

The beloved physician Luke wrote about Jesus and His disciples, “ it came to pass, that, as they went in the way, a certain man said unto him, Lord, I will follow you whithersoever you go. And Jesus said unto him, Foxes have holes, and birds of the air have nests; but the Son of man has not where to lay his head. And he said unto another, Follow me. But he said, Lord, suffer me first to go and bury my father. Jesus said unto him, Let the dead bury their dead: but go and preach the kingdom of God”, and in chapter nine and verse sixty-one of his book Luke shared how another man said, “I will follow you; but let me first go bid them farewell” where we read:

And another also said, Lord, I will follow you;

but let me first go bid them farewell, which are at home at my house.

The verse reads, “And another also said, Lord, I will follow you; Luke began with the words, “and another also said” or “”and an other man even so and indeed uttered, declared and proclaimed, “Lord” which means “One to whom a person or thing belongs, about which he has power of deciding, master and the title given to God the Messiah”, “I will follow you” or “I, myself, will join, side with and become a disciple of you Jesus”. Luke shared how another man came to Jesus and told Him he would “accompany” Him and become His disciple.

The verse goes on to say, “but let me first go bid them farewell, which are at home at my house.” Luke continued with the words, “but let me first go” which means “however, nonetheless, notwithstanding, moreover allow me beforehand to depart and take leave from you to” “bid them farewell” or “to say goodbye to the people”, “which are at home” or “who are the man's relatives or family” “at my house” which means “at the man's abode, habitation and dwelling place”. Luke shared how the man asked Jesus to allow Him to go home to tell His family goodbye before He joined Jesus and His disciples.

When we meditate upon Luke's words in this verse, we see what seems to be a reasonable request from this man who wanted to be a follower of Jesus. Surely this would be acquiesced by Jesus, and yet, we shall see Jesus' answer to the man in the next verse. For now let it suffice us to know that no relationship we have on earth is to be of greater importance than the Lord Jesus. God allowed everyone to have people in their lives, and they are to love them all, however, no one should love any person more than they love God. God wants people to love Him first and everyone else after afterward. Those who are wise will be certain their relationship with God through His Son Jesus Christ is their priority, and then they are to love everyone else even as they love themselves.

Next time Luke shares how Jesus says, “no man, having put his hand to the plow, and looking back, is fit for the kingdom”, so read ahead, and we shall join together then.

Until tomorrow…there is more…

Look for the daily devotional book “Equipped for Battle – From Generation to Generation”, the marriage book “So, You Want to Be Married”, “One Year in the Sermon on the Mount” and the new poetry book "Random Mushrooms Volumes I and II" and the new novel "Elizabeth County" in all major bookstore sites,
http://www.amazon.com ; http://www.barnesandnobles.com ; download to e-books, and find it locally at www.mrzlc.com/bookstore. All references are from "Strongs Concordance".

 







 

No comments:

Post a Comment