Sunday, January 30, 2022

Trouble Me Not Luke 11:7

Luke the beloved physician wrote how Jesus asked His disciples, “Which of you shall have a friend, and shall go unto him at midnight, and say unto him, Friend, lend me three loaves. For a friend of mine in his journey is come to me, and I have nothing to set before him?”, and in chapter eleven and verse seven of his book Luke shared how Jesus continues by saying the friend answers, “trouble me not” where we read:

And he from within shall answer and say, Trouble me not: the door is now shut, and my children are with me in bed; I cannot rise and give to you.

The verse reads, “And he from within shall answer and say, Trouble me not: the door is now shut, and my children are with me in bed;” Luke began with the words, “and he from within” or “and the friend inside his house” “shall answer and say” which means “will respond and begin to speak by uttering, declaring and proclaiming”, “trouble me not” or “do not sorrow, labor, make work for and pain me”: “the door is now shut” which means “the entrance or passage way is already closed and obstructed”, “and my children are with me in bed” or “and the friend's offspring and progeny are alongside of the friend in his place for lying down, resting or sleeping”. Luke shared how Jesus said the “friend” will respond by telling the “disciple” not to “be burdensome and painful to” him because he has already “closed” the “entrance” to his home and was in his “bed” with his children sleeping.

The verse continues, “I cannot rise and give to you.” Luke added the words, “I cannot rise” or “the friend in unable and incapable of raising up from his bed” “and give to you” or “and grant, bestow, supply and furnish food to the disciple”? Luke shared how the “friend” would tell the disciple he was unable to “get out of bed” to supply him with the bread he requested.

When we think through Luke's words in this verse, we see how Jesus said the “friend” would tell the disciple not to “make him work or labor” because he already “shut” his entryway for the evening, and he was sleeping in “bed” with his children. Because he was already settled down and resting, the “friend” was unable to get “food” for him. God knows the needs of people, and He knows there is a tendency for people to resist helping others when it is a difficulty to do so. God knows the limitations of everyone so He sent His Son Jesus to be their “Savior and Lord”. Those who are wise will submit themselves to Him and allow Him to readily supply their every need.

Next time Luke shares how Jesus says, “though he will not rise and give to him, … yet because of his importunity, he will rise and give to him”, so read ahead, and we shall join together then.

Until tomorrow…there is more…

Look for the daily devotional book “Equipped for Battle – From Generation to Generation”, the marriage book “So, You Want to Be Married”, “One Year in the Sermon on the Mount” and the new poetry book "Random Mushrooms Volumes I and II" and the new novel "Elizabeth County" in all major bookstore sites,
http://www.amazon.com ; http://www.barnesandnobles.com ; download to e-books, and find it locally at www.mrzlc.com/bookstore. All references are from "Strongs Concordance".








 

No comments:

Post a Comment