Saturday, February 12, 2022

I'll Build Bigger Barns - Luke 12:18

The beloved physician Luke wrote how Jesus, “spoke a parable unto them, saying, The ground of a certain rich man brought forth plentifully. And he thought within himself, saying, What shall I do, because I have no room where to bestow my fruits?”, and in chapter twelve and verse eighteen of his book Luke shared how Jesus says the man said, “I will pull down my barns, and build greater” where we read:

And he said, This will I do: I will pull down my barns, and build greater;

and there will I bestow all my fruits and my goods.

The verse reads, “And he said, This will I do: I will pull down my barns, and build greater; Luke began with the words, “and he said” or “and the man who had the great harvest uttered, declared and proclaimed”, “this will I do” which means “the following is what the man decided to perform, produce and make ready”: “I will pull down my barns” or “the man was to take down, demolish and destroy his storehouses and granaries”, “and build greater” which means “and erect and establish bigger barns”. Luke shared how Jesus said the man was to resolve his problem by “tearing down” his current “storehouses” and “establish” larger ones.

The verse continues, “and there will I bestow all my fruits and my goods.” Luke added the words, “and there will I bestow” or “and within those larger storehouses shall the man gather together, assemble and take in” “all my fruits” which means “each, every, the whole and everyone of the crops and produce of agriculture” “and my goods” or “and the man's useful, salutary, pleasant, joyful, happy, excellent and distinguished things”. Luke shared how the man thought he would “store” his overflowing “crops” and “pleasant things” within the new “barns”.

When we think through Luke's words in this verse, we learn how the man with the abundant “harvest” mentally solved his problem about where to store his “crops” and “goods”. This man thought he had everything figured out, and there would be nothing to keep him from “storing” his possessions. Jesus will tell what the man thinks of his future in the next verse, however, Jesus knew the man's future. God gives, God provides, and God decides who will have the possessions on this world and for how long they shall have them. His desire is for every person to yield their life to His Son Jesus Christ as their personal “Savior and Lord”, and those who submit to Him will understand “God owns it all”. God alone determines who shall have possessions and how long they shall own them.

Next time Luke shares how Jesus says the man said, “Soul, you have much goods laid up for many years”, so read ahead, and we shall join together then.

Until tomorrow…there is more…

Look for the daily devotional book “Equipped for Battle – From Generation to Generation”, the marriage book “So, You Want to Be Married”, “One Year in the Sermon on the Mount” and the new poetry book "Random Mushrooms Volumes I and II" and the new novel "Elizabeth County" in all major bookstore sites,
http://www.amazon.com ; http://www.barnesandnobles.com ; download to e-books, and find it locally at www.mrzlc.com/bookstore. All references are from "Strongs Concordance".








 

No comments:

Post a Comment