Friday, July 29, 2022

Eating and Drinking of Jesus - John 6:56

John the apostle wrote how Jesus told the people looking for Him, “I am the living bread which came down from heaven: if any man eat of this bread, he shall live for ever: and the bread that I will give is my flesh, which I will give for the life of the world. The Jews therefore strove among themselves, saying, How can this man give us his flesh to eat? Then Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except ye eat the flesh of the Son of man, and drink his blood, ye have no life in you. Whoso eats my flesh, and drinks my blood, has eternal life; and I will raise him up at the last day. For my flesh is meat indeed, and my blood is drink indeed”, and in chapter six and verse fifty-six of his book, John shared how Jesus told the people what happens to, “he that eats my flesh, and drinks my blood” where we read:

He that eats my flesh, and drinks my blood, dwells in me, and I in him.

The verse reads,He that eats my flesh, and drinks my blood, …”. John began with the words, “He that eats” or “the person whether male or female who consumes and devours” “my flesh” which means “my, Jesus', physical body”, “and drinks my blood” or “and imbibes of my, Jesus', bloodshed” shall do the following. John shared how Jesus referred to the people who “consume, devour and imbibe” of His “flesh and blood”.

The verse goes on to say, “... dwells in me, and I in him.” John continued with the words, “dwells in my” which means “remains, abides, sojourns and tarries within me, Jesus”, “and I in him” or “and I, Jesus, remain, abide, sojourn and tarry within them”. John shared how Jesus said the people who “consume” of His “flesh and blood” “remain and abide” within “Him” and He “remains and abides” in them.

When we consider John's words in this verse, we understand how the person who partakes of the spiritual nourishment Jesus provided through His “flesh and blood” actually obtains a personal relationship with Jesus. He lives in them, and they live in Him. God desires to live within every person through His Son Jesus, and when they submit their lives to Him, He comes to “dwell” within them. Those who carefully examine what Jesus meant by “eating His flesh” and “drinking His blood” will find that Jesus was describing what a person must do to enjoy an everlasting personal relationship with God.

Next time John shares how Jesus tells the people, “I live by the Father”, so read ahead, and we shall join together then.

Until tomorrow…there is more…

Look for the daily devotional book “Equipped for Battle – From Generation to Generation”, the marriage book “So, You Want to Be Married”, “One Year in the Sermon on the Mount” and the new poetry book "Random Mushrooms Volumes I and II" and the new novel "Elizabeth County" in all major bookstore sites,
http://www.amazon.com ; http://www.barnesandnobles.com ; download to e-books, and find it locally at www.mrzlc.com/bookstore. All references are from "Strongs Concordance".







 

No comments:

Post a Comment