Thursday, July 14, 2022

If I Bear Witness of Myself - John 5:31

The apostle John wrote how Jesus said, “The hour is coming, and now is, when the dead shall hear the voice of the Son of God: and they that hear shall live. For as the Father has life in himself; so has he given to the Son to have life in himself. And has given him authority to execute judgment also, because he is the Son of man. Marvel not at this: for the hour is coming, in the which all that are in the graves shall hear his voice, And shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of damnation. I can of my own self do nothing: as I hear, I judge: and my judgment is just; because I seek not mine own will, but the will of the Father which has sent me”, and in chapter five and verse thirty-one of his book, John shared how Jesus said, “if I bear witness of myself, my witness is not true” where we read:

If I bear witness of myself, my witness is not true.

The verse reads, “If I bear witness of myself, ...”. John began with the words, “if I bear witness” or “whether I, Jesus, testify, affirm and give a good report pertaining to” “of myself” which means “pertaining to Jesus' own self”. John shared how Jesus began to declare what would happen “if” He should “testify” about His “own self”.

The verse goes on to say, “... my witness is not true.John continued with the words, “my witness” which means “my, Jesus', testimony, affirmation and good report” “is not true” or “exists as untruthful and false”. John shared how Jesus said “if” He testified concerning His own self, His “testimony and affirmation” would be false.

When we meditate upon John's words in this verse, we learn how Jesus did not “testify” concerning His own self because if he did, His “testimony” would be “false”. Jesus had no need to “bear witness” of Himself, and we shall see why in our next verse, but for now, let all who read these words know God the Father sent Jesus to be a “witness” to the world that God loves them, wants to save them and desires to spend life everlasting with them. Anyone who submits themselves to Jesus as their personal “Savior and Lord” will be forgiven of their sins and granted access to God. Let all who read these words “hear” the words of Jesus and believe.

Next time John shares how Jesus says, “there is another that bears witness of me”, so read ahead, and we shall join together then.

Until tomorrow…there is more…

Look for the daily devotional book “Equipped for Battle – From Generation to Generation”, the marriage book “So, You Want to Be Married”, “One Year in the Sermon on the Mount” and the new poetry book "Random Mushrooms Volumes I and II" and the new novel "Elizabeth County" in all major bookstore sites,
http://www.amazon.com ; http://www.barnesandnobles.com ; download to e-books, and find it locally at www.mrzlc.com/bookstore. All references are from "Strongs Concordance".







 

No comments:

Post a Comment