Sunday, July 17, 2022

Had You Believed Moses - John 5:46

The apostle John wrote how Jesus said, “I have greater witness than that of John: for the works which the Father has given me to finish, the same works that I do, bear witness of me, that the Father has sent me. And the Father himself, which has sent me, has borne witness of me. You have neither heard his voice at any time, nor seen his shape. And you have not his word abiding in you: for whom he has sent, him you believe not. Search the scriptures; for in them you think you have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me. And you will not come to me, that you might have life. I receive not honor from men. But I know you, that you have not the love of God in you. I am come in my Father's name, and you receive me not: if another shall come in his own name, him you will receive. How can you believe, which receive honor one of another, and seek not the honor that comes from God only? Do not think that I will accuse you to the Father: there is one that accuses you, even Moses, in whom you trust”, and in chapter five and verse forty-six of his book, John shared how Jesus said, “had you believed Moses, you would have believed me” where we read:

For had you believed Moses, you would have believed me: for he wrote of me.

The verse reads, “For had you believed Moses, you would have believed me:”. John began with the words, “For had you believed” or “because, since and on account if you, “Jewish people who questioned Jesus”, trusted in, relied upon and clung to” “Moses” whose name means “drawing out and was and was the legislator of the Jewish people and in a certain sense the founder of the Jewish religion”, “you would have believed me” or “you, “Jewish people who questioned Jesus”, would have thought, had confidence in and trusted in Jesus Himself”. John shared how Jesus told the “Jewish people who questioned Him” if they had “trusted in Moses”, they would have “trusted in, relied upon and clung to” Him as well.

The verse continues, “for he wrote of me.John added the words, “for he wrote” which means “because, since and on account that Moses delineated, composed or formed in letters on a tablet, parchment, paper or other material” “of me” or “about Jesus”. John shared how Jesus said “Moses” “composed” letters and words concerning Jesus.

When we think through John's words in this verse, we learn how Jesus declared there was a direct relationship between what “Moses” wrote about Him and the “belief” the “Jewish people who questioned Him” had in Him. Jesus told them if they “trusted” in “Moses”, they would “trust” in Him, and because they claimed to “trust” “Moses”, they should have easily “believed” in Jesus as well. People often rely upon other people for their “faith” and “belief”, and rather than seeking the scriptures to see what “Moses” and the prophets wrote about the Messiah, they seek their own wisdom. God desires to have a personal relationship with every person through His Son Jesus, and those who are wise, even if they are doubters, will seek the scriptures “Moses” wrote as well as the entire Bible and yield their lives to Jesus.

Next time John shares how Jesus asks, “if you believe not his writings, how shall you believe my words?”, so read ahead, and we shall join together then.

Until tomorrow…there is more…

Look for the daily devotional book “Equipped for Battle – From Generation to Generation”, the marriage book “So, You Want to Be Married”, “One Year in the Sermon on the Mount” and the new poetry book "Random Mushrooms Volumes I and II" and the new novel "Elizabeth County" in all major bookstore sites,
http://www.amazon.com ; http://www.barnesandnobles.com ; download to e-books, and find it locally at www.mrzlc.com/bookstore. All references are from "Strongs Concordance".







 

No comments:

Post a Comment