Friday, July 15, 2022

Jesus Received Not Testimony from Man - John 5:34

The apostle John wrote how Jesus said, “I can of my own self do nothing: as I hear, I judge: and my judgment is just; because I seek not mine own will, but the will of the Father which has sent me. If I bear witness of myself, my witness is not true. There is another that bears witness of me; and I know that the witness which he witnesses of me is true. You sent unto John, and he bare witness unto the truth”, and in chapter five and verse thirty-four of his book, John shared how Jesus said, “I received not testimony from man” where we read:

But I receive not testimony from man: but these things I say, that you might be saved.

The verse reads, “But I receive not testimony from man:”. John began with the words, “but I receive not” or “however, nonetheless, notwithstanding and moreover I, Jesus, did not lay hold of, carry away, claim or procure” “testimony from man” which means “witness or good report from people whether male or female”. John shared how Jesus said He did not “claim or procure” the “good report and witness” of people.

The verse continues, “but these things I say, that you might be saved.John added the words, “but these things I say” which means “however, nonetheless, notwithstanding and moreover I, Jesus, utter, declare and proclaim the words and speeches”, “that you might be saved” or “so you, Jewish people, may be kept safe and sound and be rescued from danger, destruction, suffering and perishing”. John shared how Jesus said He declared these words to the Jewish people so they could be “rescued” from the “danger and condemnation” to come.

When we meditate upon John's words in this verse, we learn why Jesus did not “accept or claim” the “testimony” of people. Jesus made His declarations because He desired to “save” the Jewish people from “condemnatory judgment”. Jesus knew people who remain in their “sinful” state would not only be separated from His Father God, but would also suffer “eternal damnation” apart from Him. God sent Jesus to provide a “way of escape” so people may live with Him forever, and those who are wise will not only understand Jesus' words, but also yield to Him so they might be “saved”.

Next time John shares how Jesus says John the Baptist, “was a burning and shining light”, so read ahead, and we shall join together then.

Until tomorrow…there is more…

Look for the daily devotional book “Equipped for Battle – From Generation to Generation”, the marriage book “So, You Want to Be Married”, “One Year in the Sermon on the Mount” and the new poetry book "Random Mushrooms Volumes I and II" and the new novel "Elizabeth County" in all major bookstore sites,
http://www.amazon.com ; http://www.barnesandnobles.com ; download to e-books, and find it locally at www.mrzlc.com/bookstore. All references are from "Strongs Concordance".







 

No comments:

Post a Comment