Tuesday, July 26, 2022

Murmuring at Jesus - John 6:41

The apostle John wrote how Jesus told the people looking for Him, “I am the bread of life: he that comes to me shall never hunger; and he that believes on me shall never thirst. But I said unto you, That you also have seen me, and believe not. All that the Father gives me shall come to me; and him that comes to me I will in no wise cast out. For I came down from heaven, not to do my own will, but the will of him that sent me. And this is the Father's will which has sent me, that of all which he has given me I should lose nothing, but should raise it up again at the last day. And this is the will of him that sent me, that every one which sees the Son, and believes on him, may have everlasting life: and I will raise him up at the last day”, and in chapter six and verse forty-one of his book, John shared how, “the Jews then murmured at him” where we read:

The Jews then murmured at him, because he said, I am the bread which came down from heaven.

The verse reads,The Jews then murmured at him, because he said, ...”. John began with the words, “the Jews” or “the people within the Jewish nation by origin, birth and religion who questioned Jesus” “then murmured at him” which means “at that time grumbled, muttered, conferred secretly together and discontentedly complain toward Jesus”, “because he said” or “since and on account that Jesus uttered, declared and proclaimed” the following words. John shared how the reaction of the “Jewish people” who questioned Him was to “discontentedly complain” to Him because He proclaimed the following.

The verse goes on to say, “... I am the bread which came down from heaven.” John continued with the words, “I am the bread” which means “I, Jesus, exist as the food and nourishment” “which came down” or “that descended and came forth” “from heaven” which means “apart and separate from the region above the sidereal heavens, the seat of order of things eternal and consummately perfect where God dwells and other heavenly beings”. John shared how the “Jewish people” were upset with Jesus because He claimed to be the “food and nourishment” that came from “Heaven” above.

When we think through John's words in this verse, we learn how the “Jewish people” responded to Jesus' discourse about being the “bread from heaven”. They became “discontented” with Jesus, and they shall express themselves even more in our next verse, but for now let us realize not everyone “believes” in Jesus. Many people hear about Him, read about Him and discover who He claimed to be, but they choose, like these Jewish people, to refuse to receive Him as their personal “Savior and Lord”. Those who are wise will carefully examine the evidence given in the scriptures concerning Jesus being the “bread from heaven” and decide for themselves who Jesus really is.

Next time John shares how the people, “said, Is not this Jesus, the son of Joseph, whose father and mother we know?”, so read ahead, and we shall join together then.

Until tomorrow…there is more…

Look for the daily devotional book “Equipped for Battle – From Generation to Generation”, the marriage book “So, You Want to Be Married”, “One Year in the Sermon on the Mount” and the new poetry book "Random Mushrooms Volumes I and II" and the new novel "Elizabeth County" in all major bookstore sites,
http://www.amazon.com ; http://www.barnesandnobles.com ; download to e-books, and find it locally at www.mrzlc.com/bookstore. All references are from "Strongs Concordance".








 

No comments:

Post a Comment