Friday, July 15, 2022

John the Baptist Bore Witness of the Truth - John 5:33

The apostle John wrote how Jesus said, “ I can of my own self do nothing: as I hear, I judge: and my judgment is just; because I seek not mine own will, but the will of the Father which has sent me. If I bear witness of myself, my witness is not true. There is another that bears witness of me; and I know that the witness which he witnesses of me is true”, and in chapter five and verse thirty-three of his book, John shared how Jesus said John the Baptist, “bare witness unto the truth” where we read:

You sent unto John, and he bare witness unto the truth.

The verse reads, “You sent unto John, ...”. John began with the words, “you sent” or “you, Jewish people, dispatched and sent forth people” “unto John” which means “to John the Baptist whose name means Jehovah is a gracious giver”. John shared how Jesus recalled the time when the Jewish people, particularly the Jewish religious leaders, “dispatched” a group of people to discover who John the Baptist was.

The verse goes on to say, “... and he bare witness unto the truth.John continued with the words, “and he bare witness” which means “and John the Baptist testified and gave a good report” “unto the truth” or “toward that which is true and valid in fact and reality”. John shared how Jesus said John the Baptist “testified” of the “truth” that was in Jesus.

When we consider John's words in this verse, we learn how Jesus referred to the “truthful testimony” of His forerunner, John the Baptist. John the Baptist declared to the people surrounding him that Jesus was the “lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world”. (See John 1:29) He spoke the truth about Jesus, and those who understand this “truth” and yield their lives to Him will be forgiven of their sins and inherit everlasting life with God. God's desire is to “save” everyone, and those who are wise will confirm in their own hearts the “truth” declared by John the Baptist.

Next time John shares how Jesus says, “I received not testimony from man”, so read ahead, and we shall join together then.

Until tomorrow…there is more…

Look for the daily devotional book “Equipped for Battle – From Generation to Generation”, the marriage book “So, You Want to Be Married”, “One Year in the Sermon on the Mount” and the new poetry book "Random Mushrooms Volumes I and II" and the new novel "Elizabeth County" in all major bookstore sites,
http://www.amazon.com ; http://www.barnesandnobles.com ; download to e-books, and find it locally at www.mrzlc.com/bookstore. All references are from "Strongs Concordance".







 

No comments:

Post a Comment