Friday, July 29, 2022

Meat and Drink Indeed - John 6:55

John the apostle shared how Jesus told the people looking for Him, “I am the living bread which came down from heaven: if any man eat of this bread, he shall live for ever: and the bread that I will give is my flesh, which I will give for the life of the world. The Jews therefore strove among themselves, saying, How can this man give us his flesh to eat? Then Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except ye eat the flesh of the Son of man, and drink his blood, ye have no life in you. Whoso eats my flesh, and drinks my blood, has eternal life; and I will raise him up at the last day”, and in chapter six and verse fifty-five of his book, John shared how Jesus told the people, “my flesh is meat indeed, and my blood is drink indeed” where we read:

For my flesh is meat indeed, and my blood is drink indeed.

The verse reads,For my flesh is meat indeed, …”. John began with the words, “for my flesh” or “because, since and on account that my, Jesus', physical body” “is meat indeed” which means “exists as food and nourishment in reality, most certainly and truly”. John shared how Jesus said His “physical body” was “truly” “food and nourishment”.

The verse continues, “... and my blood is drink indeed.” John added the words, “and my blood” which means “and my, Jesus', bloodshed” “is drink indeed” or “exists as a thirst quencher in reality, most certainly and truly”. John shared how Jesus said His “bloodshed” was “truly” a “thirst quencher”.

When we think through John's words in this verse, we realize Jesus was speaking of partaking of His “flesh and blood” for “satisfaction” that is sought in life. Communion, the Lord's Supper or Eucharist helps us understand this. Jesus gave His “physical body” or “flesh” as a living sacrifice for sin upon the cross, and His “blood” was spilled for the remission of sins. Anyone who puts their faith and trust in Him will in effect be “partaking of” His “flesh and blood” and receiving the forgiveness and eternal life He promised. God loves everybody, and every person who yields their life to His Son Jesus by recognizing the sacrifice He made will enjoy everlasting life with Him forever and ever.

Next time John shares how Jesus tells the people what happens to, “he that eats my flesh, and drinks my blood”, so read ahead, and we shall join together then.

Until tomorrow…there is more…

Look for the daily devotional book “Equipped for Battle – From Generation to Generation”, the marriage book “So, You Want to Be Married”, “One Year in the Sermon on the Mount” and the new poetry book "Random Mushrooms Volumes I and II" and the new novel "Elizabeth County" in all major bookstore sites,
http://www.amazon.com ; http://www.barnesandnobles.com ; download to e-books, and find it locally at www.mrzlc.com/bookstore. All references are from "Strongs Concordance".







 

No comments:

Post a Comment