Saturday, July 16, 2022

Jesus' Father Bore Witness of Him - John 5:37

The apostle John wrote how Jesus said, “I can of my own self do nothing: as I hear, I judge: and my judgment is just; because I seek not mine own will, but the will of the Father which has sent me. If I bear witness of myself, my witness is not true. There is another that bears witness of me; and I know that the witness which he witnesses of me is true. You sent unto John, and he bare witness unto the truth. But I receive not testimony from man: but these things I say, that you might be saved. He was a burning and a shining light: and you were willing for a season to rejoice in his light. But I have greater witness than that of John: for the works which the Father has given me to finish, the same works that I do, bear witness of me, that the Father has sent me”, and in chapter five and verse thirty-seven of his book, John shared how Jesus said, “the Father himself, which has sent me, has born witness of me” where we read:

And the Father himself, which has sent me, has borne witness of me.

You have neither heard his voice at any time, nor seen his shape.

The verse reads, “And the Father himself, which has sent me, has borne witness of me.”. John began with the words, “and the Father himself” or “and Father God His own Self”, “which has sent me” which means “who dispatched and assigned me, Jesus”, “has borne witness of me” or “has testified and gave good report pertaining to me, Jesus”. John shared how Jesus said “God” His “Father” not only dispatched Him, but also gave a “good report” concerning Him.

The verse goes on to say, “You have neither heard his voice at any time, nor seen his shape.John continued with Jesus' words, “you have neither heard his voice” which means “you, Jewish people who came to question Jesus, have in no way and not at all been endowed with the faculty for hearing, perceiving or understanding Father God's sound or tone of uttered words” “at any time” or “ever and at no time”, “nor seen his shape” which means “no or not in any way observed, looked to, took heed of or came to know God the Father's external or outward appearance, form or figure”. John shared how Jesus told the Jewish people they had “never” “heard” God the Father's “voice” nor “seen” His “form”.

When we meditate upon John's words in this verse, we learn not only that God the Father sent His Son Jesus and testified concerning Him, but also that the Jewish people, most likely the religious leaders, had never “heard” God speak nor had “seen” His “form”. The implication is that Jesus “heard” His Father, and He had “seen” Him. He was much closer to His Father than they had ever been. Jesus was sent by God His Father to be the “Savior and Lord” of the world, and those who carefully listen will “hear” God's voice drawing them into a relationship with Him. The promise given to those who yield to His Son Jesus is that God will not only provide forgiveness of sins, but also grant them everlasting life with Him in Heaven. In Heaven, they shall “see” the “form” and “shape” of God who loves them and gave His life so they may live with Him forever.

Next time John shares how Jesus says, “you have not his word abiding in you”, so read ahead, and we shall join together then.

Until tomorrow…there is more…

Look for the daily devotional book “Equipped for Battle – From Generation to Generation”, the marriage book “So, You Want to Be Married”, “One Year in the Sermon on the Mount” and the new poetry book "Random Mushrooms Volumes I and II" and the new novel "Elizabeth County" in all major bookstore sites,
http://www.amazon.com ; http://www.barnesandnobles.com ; download to e-books, and find it locally at www.mrzlc.com/bookstore. All references are from "Strongs Concordance".








 

No comments:

Post a Comment