Friday, June 23, 2023

A Shield, Lifter and Glory - Psalms 3:3

Psalms chapter three begins with the heading, “[[A Psalm of David, when he fled from Absalom his son.]], and David wrote, “LORD, how are they increased that trouble me! many are they that rise up against me. Many there be which say of my soul, There is no help for him in God. Selah”, and in chapter three and verse three of the book of Psalms David said, “But you, O LORD, are a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of my head” where we read,

But you, O LORD, are a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of my head.

The verse begins, “But you, O LORD, are a shield for me;” David began with the words, “But you, O LORD” or “however, nonetheless, notwithstanding and moreover you, O Jehovah who is the existing One and the proper name for the One True God”, “are a shield for me” which means “exist as an armed defense and buckler on David's behalf”. David shared how the “LORD God Jehovah” existed as his armed defense in the midst of the opposition that was against him.

The verse goes on to say, “my glory, and the lifter up of my head.” David continued with the words, “my glory” or “David's honor, splendor, reputation, reverence and copiousness” “and the lifter up” which means “and the raiser, exalter and extolling” “of my head” or “pertaining to David's physical head”. David wrote how “the LORD” was his honor, splendor and the one who lifted his physical head.

When we meditate upon the words in this verse, we learn how David responded to the people who rose up against him. He put his focus upon the LORD God instead of the people against him. God Almighty was David's defense. God gave David his honor, and He was the one who would lift David's head when it was bent low. God loves people, and when opposition comes, there is no greater source to rely upon for defense, honor and being encouraged when our heads are bent low. He sent His Son Jesus into the world to die on the cross for the sins of the whole world, and anyone who believes and trusts in Him will be forgiven of their sins and inherit everlasting life. When opposition rises up we are wise to put our focus upon the LORD and know that He will supply what the enemy attempts to remove.

Next time David says, “I cried unto the LORD with my voice”, so read ahead, and we shall join together then.

Until tomorrow…there is more…

See more devotionals on the website "thewordfortodaywithray.com" or look for the daily devotional book “Equipped for Battle – From Generation to Generation”, the marriage book “So, You Want to Be Married”, “One Year in the Sermon on the Mount” and the new poetry book "Random Mushrooms Volumes I and II" and the new novel "Elizabeth County" in all major bookstore sites, http://www.amazon.com ; http://www.barnesandnobles.com ; download to e-books, and find it locally at www.mrzlc.com/bookstore. All references are from "Strongs Concordance".








 

No comments:

Post a Comment