Friday, June 23, 2023

Laying Down to Sleep - Psalms 3:5

Psalms chapter three begins with the heading, “[[A Psalm of David, when he fled from Absalom his son.]], and David wrote, “LORD, how are they increased that trouble me! many are they that rise up against me. Many there be which say of my soul, There is no help for him in God. Selah. But you, O LORD, are a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of my head. I cried unto the LORD with my voice, and he heard me out of his holy hill. Selah”, and in chapter three and verse five of the book of Psalms David wrote, “I laid me down and slept” where we read,

I laid me down and slept; I awoke; for the LORD sustained me.

The verse begins, “I laid me down and slept;” David began with the words, “I laid me down” or “I, David, rested, relaxed and laid down my body” “and slept” which means “and went to sleep”. David shared how he simply lay down and went to sleep.

The verse goes on to say, “I awoke for the LORD sustained me.” David continued with the words, “I awoke” or “I, David, arose or woke up in an abrupt manner” “for the LORD” which means “because, since and on account that Jehovah who is the existing One and is the proper name for the One True God” “sustained me” or “supported, upheld, refreshed and revived me, David”. David wrote how he awoke from sleeping because Jehovah God supported, refreshed and revived him.

When we consider the words in this verse, we learn how David was so refreshed by the LORD's presence that he went to sleep. When he awoke, he realized the LORD “revived and upheld” him. This idea is available for every person who will yield to God's Son Jesus as their personal “Savior and Lord”, and when they do, He will forgive their sins, grant them everlasting life and receive the Holy Spirit of God who will give them “rest and peace of mind” regardless of what they encounter. We should praise God for this wonderful example of what David did when he faced opposition, and may we “call out to the LORD”, rest, relax and go to sleep.

Next time David says, “I will not be afraid of ten thousands of people”, so read ahead, and we shall join together then.

Until tomorrow…there is more…

See more devotionals on the website "thewordfortodaywithray.com" or look for the daily devotional book “Equipped for Battle – From Generation to Generation”, the marriage book “So, You Want to Be Married”, “One Year in the Sermon on the Mount” and the new poetry book "Random Mushrooms Volumes I and II" and the new novel "Elizabeth County" in all major bookstore sites, http://www.amazon.com ; http://www.barnesandnobles.com ; download to e-books, and find it locally at www.mrzlc.com/bookstore. All references are from "Strongs Concordance".









 

No comments:

Post a Comment