Thursday, June 29, 2023

Eye Consumed with Grief - Psalms 6:7

In Psalms chapter six David wrote, “I am weary with my groaning; all the night make I my bed to swim; I water my couch with my tears”, and in chapter six and verse seven of Psalms David wrote, “My eye is consumed because of grief” where we read,

My eye is consumed because of grief; it waxes old because of all my enemies.

The verse begins with the words, “My eye is consumed because of grief;” David began with the words, “My eye is consumed” which means “My, David's, physical eye is wasted away, shrunken and fallen away” “because of grief” or “for the reason and cause of anger, vexation and provocation”. David shared how his physical “eye” or ability to see was “wasted away” because he was experiencing so much vexation within himself.

The verse goes on to say, “it waxes old because of all my enemies.” David continued with the words, “it waxes old” or “David's eye advances, moves forward and proceeds toward being advanced in years and weak” “because of all my enemies” which means “on account of each, every and everyone of my, David's, distressing, hostile and harassing foes”. David said his physical “eye” and ability to see was worn out and aged because of his hostile and distressing foes.

When we meditate upon the words in this verse, we learn how David's vision was fallen away and became weak because of his “foes”. Condemnation from without and within can wreck havoc on a person's soul, and their ability to see things clearly can become blurred. David called out to God for His help, and because He loved David, God would give him aid. God loves people, and He knows when they cause difficulties for themselves because of some act or deed. Our vision for the future can be blurred because we grieve over past attitudes, activities or words, however God sent His Son Jesus to die for our sins so we may leave our previous errors behind and be cleansed by Him. (See 1 John 1:19) Let all praise and glory be given unto God for being accessible and willing to clear our vision by His Divine goodness and grace through His Son Jesus Christ.

Next time David says, “Depart from me, all you workers of iniquity”, so read ahead, and we shall join together then.

Until tomorrow…there is more…

See more devotionals on the website "thewordfortodaywithray.com" or look for the daily devotional book “Equipped for Battle – From Generation to Generation”, the marriage book “So, You Want to Be Married”, “One Year in the Sermon on the Mount” and the new poetry book "Random Mushrooms Volumes I and II" and the new novel "Elizabeth County" in all major bookstore sites, http://www.amazon.com ; http://www.barnesandnobles.com ; download to e-books, and find it locally at www.mrzlc.com/bookstore. All references are from "Strongs Concordance".








 

No comments:

Post a Comment