Thursday, June 29, 2023

Weary With My Groaning - Psalms 6:6

In Psalms chapter six David wrote, “O LORD, rebuke me not in your anger, neither chasten me in your hot displeasure. Have mercy upon me, O LORD; for I am weak: O LORD, heal me; for my bones are vexed. My soul is also sore vexed: but you, O LORD, how long? Return, O LORD, deliver my soul: oh save me for your mercies' sake. For in death there is no remembrance of you: in the grave who shall give you thanks?”, and in Psalms chapter six and verse six David wrote, “I am weary with my groaning” where we read,

I am weary with my groaning; all the night make I my bed to swim; I water my couch with my tears.

The verse begins with the words, “I am weary with my groaning; all the night make I my bed to swim;” David began with the words, “I am weary” which means “I, David, exists as in toil, laboring, in exhaustion and faint” “with my groaning” or “with sighing and mourning as an expression of grief or physical distress”; “all the night” which means “throughout the entire nighttime” “make I my bed to swim” or “cause I, David's, own couch, bier or sofa to be inundated with water such as a bath”. David said he was so exhausted that he mourned as a sign of his grief, and he had so many tears on his “bed” from his troubles that he could “swim” in them.

The verse continues, “I water my couch with my tears.” David added the words, “I water my couch” or “I, David, melt, cause to dissolve and liquify my, David's, divan or bed” “with my tears” which means “by my, David's, weeping”. David said he cried so much that his “tears” were dissolved into his bed.

When we meditate upon the words in this verse, we learn the level of grief David was experiencing because of his failure before God. There is only one chance at some things, and after they have been done or not done, we may experience extreme grief over our action or missed opportunity especially in our relationship with God. God loves us, and when He inspired and allowed David to write these words, He knew we would be able to relate to them. God sent His Son Jesus to die on the cross for the sins of the whole world, and even when we make mistakes that are emotionally unbearable and our tears flow abundantly because of them, He is willing to save and forgive us when we call out to Him. David experienced deep and passionate sorrow, and we shall experience the same. We are wise when we surrender ourselves to Jesus, even with all our tears, and allow Him to restore us in our relationship with Him.

Next time David says, “My eye is consumed because of grief”, so read ahead, and we shall join together then.

Until tomorrow…there is more…

See more devotionals on the website "thewordfortodaywithray.com" or look for the daily devotional book “Equipped for Battle – From Generation to Generation”, the marriage book “So, You Want to Be Married”, “One Year in the Sermon on the Mount” and the new poetry book "Random Mushrooms Volumes I and II" and the new novel "Elizabeth County" in all major bookstore sites, http://www.amazon.com ; http://www.barnesandnobles.com ; download to e-books, and find it locally at www.mrzlc.com/bookstore. All references are from "Strongs Concordance".








 

No comments:

Post a Comment