Sunday, June 25, 2023

Give Ear to My Words - Psalms 5:1

In Psalms chapter four David declared of the LORD, “You have put gladness in my heart, more than in the time that their corn and their wine increased. I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for you, LORD, only make me dwell in safety”, and in chapter five and verse one of the book of Psalms David wrote, “Give ear to my words, O LORD” where we read,

[[To the chief Musician upon Nehiloth, A Psalm of David.]]

Give ear to my words, O LORD, consider my meditation.

The verse begins with the heading, “[[To the chief Musician upon Nehiloth, A Psalm of David.]]” The Psalm begins with the words, “to the chief Musician” or “to the overseer, superintendent and choir director of music” “upon Nehiloth” which means “upon a stringed instrument or flute as a taunting or mocking song”, “a Psalm” or “an instrumental melody or poem set to notes” “of David” which means “belonging to David whose name means beloved and was the second king of Israel”. This Psalm is another poem set to music by King David of Israel, and the choral director was to play it upon stringed instruments or a flute to convey it's truth.

The verse goes on to say, “Give ear to my words, O LORD, consider my meditation.” David continued with the words, “Give ear” or “listen and hearken” “to my words” which means “to my, David's, utterances, speeches, sayings, promises and commands”, “O LORD” or “O Jehovah who is the existing One and the proper name for the One True God”, “consider my meditation” which means “discern, understand and perceive my, David's, whispering, musing and complaint”. David asked Jehovah God to listen to his sayings and to perceive his whispering and complaint.

When we think through the words in this verse, we see how David appealed to Jehovah God to listen to his speech and understand his musings or complaints. David went to the LORD when he had difficulties, and we should follow his example. When we face troubles, God is our best resource because He loves us. He demonstrated His love to us when He sent His Son Jesus to die on the cross for our sins, and anyone who yields to Him will be forgiven and granted everlasting life. Those who yield to Jesus will find He is a loving God who is available whenever they encounter troubles and tribulations on the earth.

Next time David says, “Hearken unto the voice of my cry, my King, and my God”, so read ahead, and we shall join together then.

Until tomorrow…there is more…

See more devotionals on the website "thewordfortodaywithray.com" or look for the daily devotional book “Equipped for Battle – From Generation to Generation”, the marriage book “So, You Want to Be Married”, “One Year in the Sermon on the Mount” and the new poetry book "Random Mushrooms Volumes I and II" and the new novel "Elizabeth County" in all major bookstore sites, http://www.amazon.com ; http://www.barnesandnobles.com ; download to e-books, and find it locally at www.mrzlc.com/bookstore. All references are from "Strongs Concordance".








 

No comments:

Post a Comment