Friday, June 23, 2023

Arise O LORD and Save Me - Psalms 3:7

Psalms chapter three begins with the heading, “[[A Psalm of David, when he fled from Absalom his son.]], and David wrote, “LORD, how are they increased that trouble me! many are they that rise up against me. Many there be which say of my soul, There is no help for him in God. Selah. But you, O LORD, are a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of my head. I cried unto the LORD with my voice, and he heard me out of his holy hill. Selah. I laid me down and slept; I awoke; for the LORD sustained me. I will not be afraid of ten thousands of people, that have set themselves against me round about”, and in chapter three and verse seven of the book of Psalms David prayed, “Arise, O LORD; save me, O my God:” where we read,

Arise, O LORD; save me, O my God: for you have smitten all my enemies upon the cheek bone;

you have broken the teeth of the ungodly.

The verse begins, “Arise, O LORD; save me, O my God: for you have smitten all my enemies upon the cheek bone;” David began with the words, “Arise, O LORD” or “stand up, rise up, be powerful and come on the scene, O Jehovah who is the existing One and is the proper name for the One True God”; “save me, O my God” which means “rescue, deliver and liberate me, David, oh One True Deity”; “for you have smitten” or “because, since and on account that you, O God, have stricken, hit, beat, slayed and killed” “all my enemies” which means “each, every, the whole and everyone of David's foes and adversaries” “upon the cheek bone” or “on the jaw-bone”. David appealed to the LORD God to be lifted up and rescue Him because He had beat, slayed and destroyed everyone of David's foes upon their jaw-bones.

The verse goes on to say, “you have broken the teeth of the ungodly.” David continued with the words, “you have broken the teeth” or “you, O God, have ruptured, shattered and broken the physical teeth” “of the ungodly” which means “belonging to the wicked, criminal, condemned and wrongdoing people”. David wrote how God not only struck his enemies on the jaw-bone, but also shattered the teeth in their mouths.

When we think through the words in this verse, we learn how David acknowledged the way God defeated His enemies. God smacked them in their jaw-bones and shattered the teeth in their mouths. In other words, David knew God was His defense. There is no greater way to be defended than for God to take control, and when David's son Absalom took over his kingdom in a hostile way, David turned to the LORD for rescue. God loves His own, and anyone who yields to His Son Jesus will be in a personal relationship with Him that includes forgiveness of sins, everlasting life and protection against anyone who rises up against them. We may give the LORD praise and honor for His protective ways that will smite our enemies in the midst of their opposition.

Next time David says, “Salvation belongs unto the LORD”, so read ahead, and we shall join together then.

Until tomorrow…there is more…

See more devotionals on the website "thewordfortodaywithray.com" or look for the daily devotional book “Equipped for Battle – From Generation to Generation”, the marriage book “So, You Want to Be Married”, “One Year in the Sermon on the Mount” and the new poetry book "Random Mushrooms Volumes I and II" and the new novel "Elizabeth County" in all major bookstore sites, http://www.amazon.com ; http://www.barnesandnobles.com ; download to e-books, and find it locally at www.mrzlc.com/bookstore. All references are from "Strongs Concordance".








 

No comments:

Post a Comment