Friday, June 30, 2023

Enemies Ashamed and Sore Vexed - Psalms 6:10

In Psalms chapter six David wrote, “I am weary with my groaning; all the night make I my bed to swim; I water my couch with my tears. My eye is consumed because of grief; it waxes old because of all my enemies. Depart from me, all you workers of iniquity; for the LORD has heard the voice of my weeping. The LORD has heard my supplication; the LORD will receive my prayer”, and in Psalms chapter six and verse ten David wrote, “let all my enemies be ashamed and sore vexed” where we read,

Let all my enemies be ashamed and sore vexed: let them return and be ashamed suddenly.

The verse begins, “Let all my enemies be ashamed and sore vexed:” David began with the words, “Let all my enemies” which means “allow and permit each, every, the whole and everyone of my, David's, foes and adversaries” “be ashamed” or “feel shame, be disconcerted, disappointed and confounded” “and sore vexed” which means “and exceedingly, abundantly and greatly disturbed, alarmed, terrified, anxious, afraid and nervous”. David asked the LORD to allow every one of his foes and adversaries to feel shame and be fearful and terrified.

The verse continues, “let them return and be ashamed suddenly.” David added the words, “let them return” or “allow and permit David's enemies to turn and go back” “and be ashamed” which means “and feel shame, be disconcerted, disappointed and confounded” “suddenly” or “instantly or in a moment's time”. David asked the LORD to turn back his enemies from where they came and to be instantly disappointed and confounded.

When we meditate upon the words in this verse, we see how David went to the LORD with his “enemies”. He had his idea about what God should do with them, and he wanted the LORD to take vengeance upon them. (See Romans 12:19 and Deuteronomy 32:35) David wanted his “foes” to feel shame, be disturbed, terrified and go back from where they came with instant disappointment. We know God loves people, and He proved it by sending His Son Jesus to die on the cross for the sins of the world. When we yield our lives to Him, He will forgive our sins, grant us everlasting life and be our defense against anyone who becomes our foe. Let us learn from David and allow the LORD to deal with those who oppose us, and hear the words of Jesus, “love your enemies” (See Matthew 5:44 and Luke 6:35) while He deals with them according to His Divine will.

Next time we begin a new Psalm where David says, “save me from all them that persecute me”, so read ahead, and we shall join together then.

Until tomorrow…there is more…

See more devotionals on the website "thewordfortodaywithray.com" or look for the daily devotional book “Equipped for Battle – From Generation to Generation”, the marriage book “So, You Want to Be Married”, “One Year in the Sermon on the Mount” and the new poetry book "Random Mushrooms Volumes I and II" and the new novel "Elizabeth County" in all major bookstore sites, http://www.amazon.com ; http://www.barnesandnobles.com ; download to e-books, and find it locally at www.mrzlc.com/bookstore. All references are from "Strongs Concordance".









 

No comments:

Post a Comment