Sunday, June 25, 2023

Laying Down in Peace and Sleep - Psalms 4:8

In Psalms chapter four David declared of the LORD, “You have put gladness in my heart, more than in the time that their corn and their wine increased”, and in chapter four and verse eight of Psalms David said, “I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep” where we read,

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for you, LORD, only make me dwell in safety.

The verse begins, “I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep:” David began with the words, “I will both lay me down” or “I, David, will lie down for rest” “in peace” which means “in completeness, soundness, welfare, safety and soundness”, “and sleep” or “and remain asleep”. David declared because of the LORD's “gladness” he would experience “safety and continual rest” in his life.

The verse continues, “for you, LORD, only make me dwell in safety.” David added the words, “for you, LORD” or “because, since and on account that you, Jehovah God who is the existing One and the proper name for the One True God”, “only make me dwell” which means “solely and alone cause me, David to be set, established and inhabited” “in safety” or “in security, assurance and confidence”. David wrote how Jehovah God alone was able to provide him with “security, assurance and confidence”.

When we meditate upon the words in this verse, we learn how David enjoyed “soundness, safety and remaining sleep in his life” when he understood the source of his real joy. We have no security but in God, and we need no other. David understood this, and rather than focusing on what the “Sons of men” were seeking after, David focused upon the LORD God Almighty. God desires intimate fellowship with every person, and He provided His Son Jesus to die on the cross for the sins of mankind that kept them separated from Him. God is holy, and no one gains access to Him unless their unholy sin problem is resolved. When people surrender to God's plan of salvation through His Son Jesus, they receive His “forgiveness, security, peace and rest” which is available to all who believe.

Next time we begin a new chapter and see David say, “Give ear to my words, O LORD”, so read ahead, and we shall join together then.

Until tomorrow…there is more…

See more devotionals on the website "thewordfortodaywithray.com" or look for the daily devotional book “Equipped for Battle – From Generation to Generation”, the marriage book “So, You Want to Be Married”, “One Year in the Sermon on the Mount” and the new poetry book "Random Mushrooms Volumes I and II" and the new novel "Elizabeth County" in all major bookstore sites, http://www.amazon.com ; http://www.barnesandnobles.com ; download to e-books, and find it locally at www.mrzlc.com/bookstore. All references are from "Strongs Concordance".








 

No comments:

Post a Comment