Friday, June 30, 2023

If I Rewarded Evil for Peace - Psalms 7:4

In Psalms chapter seven David wrote, “O LORD my God, in you do I put my trust: save me from all them that persecute me, and deliver me. Lest he tear my soul like a lion, rending it in pieces, while there is none to deliver. O LORD my God, if I have done this; if there be iniquity in my hands;”, and in chapter seven and verse four of Psalms David added, “If I have rewarded evil unto him that was at peace with me;” where we read,

If I have rewarded evil unto him that was at peace with me;

(yes, I have delivered him that without cause is my enemy:)

The verse begins, “If I have rewarded evil unto him that was at peace with me;” David began with the words, “If I have rewarded” which means “whether and in case I, David, have recompensed or repaid bad, unkindness and wickedness” “unto him that was at peace” or “to a person who was in a covenant of soundness, safety and friendly” “with me” which means “alongside and beside me, David”. David presented another possibility that he may have “repaid” a person with unkindness and wickedness when they were in a peaceful and calm relationship with him.

The verse continues, “(yes, I have delivered him that without cause is my enemy:)” David parenthetically added the words, “(yes, I have delivered him” or “even so and indeed I, David, invigorated, set free and presented a person” “that without cause” which means “who not having any reason, vainly and without effect” “is my enemy” or “exists as my, David's, foe and adversary”). David parenthetically added the possibility that he may have plundered an “enemy” without a reason or cause.

When we meditate upon the words in this verse, we learn how David listed several possibilities for the reason the person opposed to him was persecuting him. He thought he may have returned “wickedness” or betrayed a person who was living calmly with him, or perhaps he had plundered his “enemy” without a reason for doing so. God was able to help David because all people were as “enemies” against Him with sin in their lives, and He still sent His Son Jesus into the world to die on the cross for the sins of all mankind. Three days later Jesus was resurrected from the dead, and anyone who yield to Him will be forgiven of their sins and granted everlasting life. God knows when we are guilty of causing our difficulties and when they arise from other people or circumstances. In either case, He is willing to be our “Savior and LORD”, and as we give Him praise for rescuing us from eternal separation from Him, we may appeal to Him anytime we have difficulties with others.

Next time David declares, “let the enemy persecute my soul”, so read ahead, and we shall join together then.

Until tomorrow…there is more…

See more devotionals on the website "thewordfortodaywithray.com" or look for the daily devotional book “Equipped for Battle – From Generation to Generation”, the marriage book “So, You Want to Be Married”, “One Year in the Sermon on the Mount” and the new poetry book "Random Mushrooms Volumes I and II" and the new novel "Elizabeth County" in all major bookstore sites, http://www.amazon.com ; http://www.barnesandnobles.com ; download to e-books, and find it locally at www.mrzlc.com/bookstore. All references are from "Strongs Concordance".








 

No comments:

Post a Comment