Friday, June 16, 2023

No Cause of Death in Me - Acts 28:18

The beloved physician Luke wrote, “when we came to Rome, the centurion delivered the prisoners to the captain of the guard: but Paul was suffered to dwell by himself with a soldier that kept him. And it came to pass, that after three days Paul called the chief of the Jews together: and when they were come together, he said unto them, Men and brethren, though I have committed nothing against the people, or customs of our fathers, yet was I delivered prisoner from Jerusalem into the hands of the Romans”, and in chapter twenty-eight and verse eighteen of the book of Acts Luke shared how Paul said, “when they had examined me, would have let me go, because there was no cause of death in me” where we read:

Who, when they had examined me, would have let me go, because there was no cause of death in me.

The verse begins,Who, when they had examined me, would have let me go, ... Luke began with the words, “who, when they had examined me” which means “the Romans, at the time and moment they investigated, inquired into, scrutinized and questioned me, Paul”, “would have let me go” or “purposed, were minded and willing to release, dismiss and send me, Paul, away”. Luke shared how “Paul” told the “chief of the Jews” how the “Romans” who investigated him were minded to set him free.

The verse continues, “because there was no cause of death in me.” Luke added the words, “because there was no cause of death” which means “since and on account that not one reason, charge or accusation of a crime which was worthy of punishment was discovered “in me” or “within me, Paul”. Luke shared how “Paul” told the chief of the Jews that the “Romans” did not find any crime within him that was worthy of being put to death.

When we meditate upon Luke's words in this verse, we learn how “Paul” made his appeal to the Jewish people who gathered to him according to the inquiry that was made by the Romans. They would have set “Paul” free because there was no crime that was worthy of him being killed. “Paul” was beginning to share the gospel with the Jewish people who were in Rome, and because He knew God wants every person to be in a personal relationship with Him through His Son Jesus, he was willing to share from the beginning of his trial. “Paul” was fulfilling his mission, and the Jews were offered God's salvation first. Now all of mankind is invited to receive Jesus as their “Savior and Lord”, and when they do, they will be forgiven of their sins and granted everlasting life with God.

Next time Luke shares how Paul says, “when the Jews spoke against it, I was constrained to appeal unto Caesar”, so read ahead, and we shall join together then.

Until tomorrow…there is more…

See more devotionals on the website "thewordfortodaywithray.com" or look for the daily devotional book “Equipped for Battle – From Generation to Generation”, the marriage book “So, You Want to Be Married”, “One Year in the Sermon on the Mount” and the new poetry book "Random Mushrooms Volumes I and II" and the new novel "Elizabeth County" in all major bookstore sites, http://www.amazon.com ; http://www.barnesandnobles.com ; download to e-books, and find it locally at www.mrzlc.com/bookstore. All references are from "Strongs Concordance".







 

No comments:

Post a Comment