Monday, August 22, 2022

Abraham Saw Jesus' Day - John 8:56

The apostle John wrote how Jesus told the Jewish people who were questioning Him,Verily, verily, I say unto you, If a man keep my saying, he shall never see death. Then said the Jews unto him, Now we know that you have a devil. Abraham is dead, and the prophets; and you say, If a man keep my saying, he shall never taste of death. Are you greater than our father Abraham, which is dead? and the prophets are dead: who do you make yourself? Jesus answered, If I honor myself, my honor is nothing: it is my Father that honors me; of whom you say, that he is your God. Yet you have not known him; but I know him: and if I should say, I know him not, I shall be a liar like unto you: but I know him, and keep his saying, and in chapter eight and verse fifty-six of his book John shared how Jesus told the religious leaders, “your father Abraham rejoiced to see my day” where we read:

Your father Abraham rejoiced to see my day: and he saw it, and was glad.

The verse reads, “Your father Abraham rejoiced to see my day: John began with the words, “your father Abraham” which means “your, Jewish people, male progenitor and ancestor Abraham which means father of a multitude and was the founder of the Jewish nation” “rejoiced to see” or “exulted and was exceedingly glad to observe, behold, perceive and know” “my day” which means “my, Jesus', time of living”. John shared how Jesus told the “Jewish people” who were questioning Him that “Father Abraham” joyfully desired to observe the “day” in which He was living.

The verse continues, “and he saw it, and was glad. John added the words, “and he saw it” which means “and Abraham observed, beheld, perceived and knew Jesus' day”, “and was glad” or “and rejoiced exceedingly and was cheerful”. John shared how “Abraham” observed Jesus' “day” and “rejoiced exceedingly” because He saw it.

When we think through John's words in this verse, we learn how Jesus referred to “Father Abraham” whom the “Jewish people” said was “dead” to validate the “time” in which He was upon the earth. He told His accusers that “Abraham” actually “observed” His “day” and was exceedingly happy to see it. Jesus as the Messiah and Son of God was to come through the lineage of “Abraham”, and the world needed a “Savior” to free them from “sin” and it's penalty. “Abraham” was promised by God that through Him the “Christ of God” would be born, and anyone who believes and trusts in Him will be forgiven of their sins and be granted everlasting life. Those who are wise will study the promise made to “Abraham” and understand, not only did He “see” Jesus' “day”, but He knew this would be the One through whom the entire world could be saved. (See Genesis 22:18)

Next time John shares how the religious leaders tell Jesus, “you are not yet fifty years old, and have you seen Abraham?”, so read ahead, and we shall join together then.

Until tomorrow…there is more…

Look for the daily devotional book “Equipped for Battle – From Generation to Generation”, the marriage book “So, You Want to Be Married”, “One Year in the Sermon on the Mount” and the new poetry book "Random Mushrooms Volumes I and II" and the new novel "Elizabeth County" in all major bookstore sites,
http://www.amazon.com ; http://www.barnesandnobles.com ; download to e-books, and find it locally at www.mrzlc.com/bookstore. All references are from "Strongs Concordance".







 

No comments:

Post a Comment