Sunday, August 21, 2022

No Devil But Honoring God - John 8:49

The apostle John wrote how Jesus asked the people who were questioning Him,Which of you convinces me of sin? And if I say the truth, why do ye not believe me? He that is of God hears God's words: you therefore hear them not, because you are not of God. Then answered the Jews, and said unto him, Say we not well that you are a Samaritan, and have a devil?, and in chapter eight and verse forty-nine of his book John shared how Jesus tells the religious leaders, “I have not a devil; but I honor my Father” where we read:

Jesus answered, I have not a devil; but I honor my Father, and you do dishonor me.

The verse reads, “Jesus answered, I have not a devil; John began with the words, “Jesus answered” which means “the Son of God, the Savior of mankind and God incarnate responded to the Jewish people”, “I have not a devil” or “I, Jesus, am not possessed by an evil spirit, demon or devil”. John shared how Jesus responded directly to the accusation of the “Jewish peoples” as He told them He was not possessed by an “evil spirit”.

The verse goes on to say, “but I honor my Father, and you do dishonor me. John continued with Jesus' words, “but I honor” which means “however, nonetheless, notwithstanding and moreover I, Jesus, value, revere and venerate” “my Father” or “my, Jesus', Heavenly Father God”, “and you do dishonor me” which means “and you, Jewish people, insult, treat with contempt, contemn, maltreat and despise me, Jesus”. John shared how Jesus said He “valued and revered” His “Father God”, however, the Jewish people who challenged Him were treating Him with “contempt, insult and despite”.

When we meditate upon John's words in this verse, we learn how Jesus responded to the people who accused Him of being a “Samaritan” and being possessed by a “devil”. Jesus told them of His “respect, reverence and value” toward His Heavenly Father God, however they “disrespected, undervalued and maltreated” Him. God sent His Son Jesus to be the “Savior and Lord” of the world, and anyone who believes and trusts in Him will be forgiven of their sins and inherit everlasting life with God. Those who do not believe in Jesus “dishonor and undervalue” Him and will answer to “God the Father” for their rejection of His Son. Let all who read these words “take heed” and yield themselves to Jesus who alone is able to “save”.

Next time John shares how Jesus tells the religious leaders, “I seek not my own glory”, so read ahead, and we shall join together then.

Until tomorrow…there is more…

Look for the daily devotional book “Equipped for Battle – From Generation to Generation”, the marriage book “So, You Want to Be Married”, “One Year in the Sermon on the Mount” and the new poetry book "Random Mushrooms Volumes I and II" and the new novel "Elizabeth County" in all major bookstore sites,
http://www.amazon.com ; http://www.barnesandnobles.com ; download to e-books, and find it locally at www.mrzlc.com/bookstore. All references are from "Strongs Concordance".







 

No comments:

Post a Comment