Monday, August 22, 2022

Jesus Did Not Honor Himself - John 8:54

The apostle John wrote how Jesus told the Jewish people who were questioning Him,Verily, verily, I say unto you, If a man keep my saying, he shall never see death. Then said the Jews unto him, Now we know that you have a devil. Abraham is dead, and the prophets; and you say, If a man keep my saying, he shall never taste of death. Are you greater than our father Abraham, which is dead? and the prophets are dead: who do you make yourself?, and in chapter eight and verse fifty-four of his book John shared how Jesus told the religious leaders, “If I honor myself, my honor is nothing” where we read:

Jesus answered, If I honor myself, my honor is nothing: it is my Father that honors me;

of whom you say, that he is your God:

The verse reads, “Jesus answered, If I honor myself, my honor is nothing: it is my Father that honors me; John began with the words, “Jesus answered” which means “the Son of God, the Savior of mankind and God incarnate whose name means Jehovah is Salvation responded and began to speak”, “If I honor myself” or “whether I, Jesus, praise, extol, magnify and celebrate my own self”, “my honor is nothing” which means “my, Jesus', praise, extolling, magnifying and celebrating of His own self exist as nought or not one thing”: “it is my Father” or “it is my, Jesus', Heavenly Father who is God” “that honors me” which means “who praises, extols, magnifies and celebrates me, Jesus”. John shared how Jesus told the Jewish people who were questioning Him that His own “personal” “praise, extolling and celebration” was as not one thing, however, His Heavenly Father God's “praise and extolling” was most important and valuable.

The verse continues, “of whom you say, that he is your God: John added Jesus' words, “of whom you say” which means “who you, Jewish people, utter, declare and proclaim”, “that he is your God” or “that God the Heavenly Father exists as your, Jewish peoples', Godhead and trinity”. John shared how Jesus referred to the way the Jewish people declared the “Heavenly Father God” who “honored” Him to be their personal “God”.

When we consider John's words in this verse, we learn how Jesus did not have to “honor” Himself, because He enjoyed the “honor” of His Father God. Though He truly had a personal relationship with God His Father, the Jewish people, who did not “honor” Jesus, were claiming Jesus' Father to be their “God”. Many people acknowledge “God” without “honoring” His Son Jesus whom He sent to the world to be the “Savior and Lord”. Jesus inferred that these ideas are incompatible. Those who truly “honor” God will “honor” His Son Jesus as well, and since God Himself “praises, extols and celebrates” His Son Jesus, how much more should everyone who reads and considers His words “honor” Him as well?

Next time John shares how Jesus tells the religious leaders, “you have not known him; but I know him”, so read ahead, and we shall join together then.

Until tomorrow…there is more…

Look for the daily devotional book “Equipped for Battle – From Generation to Generation”, the marriage book “So, You Want to Be Married”, “One Year in the Sermon on the Mount” and the new poetry book "Random Mushrooms Volumes I and II" and the new novel "Elizabeth County" in all major bookstore sites,
http://www.amazon.com ; http://www.barnesandnobles.com ; download to e-books, and find it locally at www.mrzlc.com/bookstore. All references are from "Strongs Concordance".








 

No comments:

Post a Comment