Monday, August 15, 2022

Jesus and the Father Bear Witness - John 8:18

John the apostle wrote, “Then spoke Jesus again unto them, saying, I am the light of the world: he that follows me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life. The Pharisees therefore said unto him, You bear record of yourself; your record is not true. Jesus answered and said unto them, Though I bear record of myself, yet my record is true: for I know from where I came, and where I go; but you cannot tell where I come from, and where I go. You judge after the flesh; I judge no man. And yet if I judge, my judgment is true: for I am not alone, but I and the Father that sent me. It is also written in your law, that the testimony of two men is true, and in chapter eight and verse eighteen of his book John shared how Jesus told the Pharisees, “myself, and the Father … bear witness of me where we read:

I am one that bear witness of myself, and the Father that sent me bears witness of me.

The verse reads,I am one that bear witness of myself, ...” John began with the words, “I am one” which means “I, Jesus, exists as a certain and particular one” “that bear witness” or “who testifies and gives a good report and record” “of myself” which means “pertaining to my, Jesus', own self”. John shared how Jesus told the “Pharisees” that He “testified” about His own self.

The verse goes on to say, “... and the Father that sent me bears witness of me.” John continued with the words, “and the Father” which means “and God the Father of Jesus” “that sent me” or “who dispatched and assigned me, Jesus” “bears witness of me” which means “testifies and gives a good report and record concerning me, Jesus”. John shared how Jesus said His “Father God” also “testified” concerning Him.

When we meditate upon John's words in this verse, we learn about the “two witnesses” Jesus possessed as He “testified” about Himself – Jesus and God the Father. Jesus came to the world as “God” in the flesh, “God incarnate”, and He and the Father proclaimed the truth of “salvation” and “redemption” to mankind. Anyone, regardless of how wicked they have been, may humble themselves before God, receive His Son Jesus as their personal “Savior and Lord” and be forgiven of their sins and inherit everlasting life with God. Those who are wise will hear the “testimony” of Jesus and His Father God and yield their lives to Him.

Next time John shares concerning Jesus how, no man laid hands on him; for his hour was not yet come, so read ahead, and we shall join together then.

Until tomorrow…there is more…

Look for the daily devotional book “Equipped for Battle – From Generation to Generation”, the marriage book “So, You Want to Be Married”, “One Year in the Sermon on the Mount” and the new poetry book "Random Mushrooms Volumes I and II" and the new novel "Elizabeth County" in all major bookstore sites,
http://www.amazon.com ; http://www.barnesandnobles.com ; download to e-books, and find it locally at www.mrzlc.com/bookstore. All references are from "Strongs Concordance".







 

No comments:

Post a Comment