Thursday, August 18, 2022

If You Continue in Jesus' Word - John 8:31

John the apostle wrote how Jesus told the scribes and Pharisees,When you have lifted up the Son of man, then shall you know that I am he, and that I do nothing of myself; but as my Father has taught me, I speak these things. And he that sent me is with me: the Father has not left me alone; for I do always those things that please him. As he spoke these words, many believed on him, and in chapter eight and verse thirty-one of his book John shared how Jesus told the Jews who believed on him, “if you continue in my word, then are you my disciples indeed” where we read:

Then said Jesus to those Jews which believed on him,

If you continue in my word, then are you my disciples indeed;

The verse reads,Then said Jesus to those Jews which believed on him, ...” John began with the words, “the said Jesus” which means “at that time uttered, declared and proclaimed the Son of God, the Savior of mankind and God incarnate whose name means Jehovah is Salvation” “to those Jews” or “to the Jewish people”, “which believed on him” which means “who trusted in, relied upon, clung to and had confidence in Jesus” the following words. John shared how Jesus spoke the following words to the “Jewish people” who “trusted in and relied upon” Him.

The verse continues on to say, “... If you continue in my word, then are you my disciples indeed;” John added the words, “if you continue” which means “whether you, Jewish people who believe in Jesus, remain, abide, are continually present and kept” “in my word” or “within Jesus' speech which embodied a conception or idea, decree, mandate and moral precept”, “then are you my disciples indeed” which means “therefore, wherefore and on that account do you, Jewish people who believed in Jesus, exist as Jesus' students, pupils and attendants”. John shared how Jesus told the “Jewish people who trusted in Him” that when they “remained and abode” in His “words and ideas”, they were His “students, pupils and attendants”.

When we meditate upon John's words in this verse, we learn how to be a “disciple” of Jesus Christ - “abide in His word”. God wants people to know Him and His Son Jesus, and when they “abide” in His word, they shall grow in their faith by obeying what He says. Those who are wise will not only accept Jesus as their personal “Savior and Lord”, but they shall “continue” to be in His word and “abide” in Him. (See John 15:5-8)

Next time John shares how Jesus tells the Jews who believed on him, “you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free”, so read ahead, and we shall join together then.

Until tomorrow…there is more…

Look for the daily devotional book “Equipped for Battle – From Generation to Generation”, the marriage book “So, You Want to Be Married”, “One Year in the Sermon on the Mount” and the new poetry book "Random Mushrooms Volumes I and II" and the new novel "Elizabeth County" in all major bookstore sites,
http://www.amazon.com ; http://www.barnesandnobles.com ; download to e-books, and find it locally at www.mrzlc.com/bookstore. All references are from "Strongs Concordance".








 

No comments:

Post a Comment