Friday, August 19, 2022

Abraham's Seed Seeking to Kill Jesus - John 8:37

The apostle John wrote how Jesus told the people who believed on Him, “If the Son therefore shall make you free, you shall be free indeed”, and in chapter eight and verse thirty-seven of his book John shared how Jesus told the Jewish people and the religious leaders, “I know that you are Abraham's seed; but you seek to kill me” where we read:

I know that you are Abraham's seed; but you seek to kill me, because my word has no place in you.

The verse reads, “I know that you are Abraham's seed; John began with the words, “I know” which means “I, Jesus, understand, perceive and notice” “that you are Abraham's seed” or “that you, Jewish people and religious leaders, exist as the offspring and progeny of Abraham whose name means father of a multitude and was the founder of the Jewish nation”. John shared how Jesus knew the people He was speaking to were the offspring of “Abraham”.

The verse continues, “but you seek to kill me, because my word has no place in you. John added the words, “but you seek to kill me” which means “however, nonetheless, notwithstanding and moreover you, Jewish people and religious leaders, crave, demand, require, aim for and strive to destroy, inflict mortal death upon and slay me, Jesus”, “because my word” or “since and on account that my, Jesus', speech, mandate, decree and sayings which embody a conception or idea” “has no place in you” which means “does not enter, is not received and is not allowed room within you Jewish people and religious leaders”. John shared how Jesus told the people listening to Him that their desire was to “destroy and eliminate” Him, and the reason was His “mandates and decrees” were not “received” by them.

When we meditate upon John's words in this verse, we learn how Jesus understood perfectly who the “Jewish people and religious leaders” were that confronted Him. They were “physical” descendants of “Abraham”, but they did not “receive” Jesus' words concerning the “Kingdom of God”. Jesus came to the world to save people from their sins, and He was to die on the cross to pay the price of death for them. He would rise three days later, and everyone who believes and trusts in Him as their personal “Savior and Lord” will be forgiven of their sins and be granted everlasting life with God. These words and ideas of Jesus are for everyone, and those who are wise will not only “receive” them, but also “make room” in their hearts to believe them.

Next time John shares how Jesus tells the Jewish people and religious leaders, “I speak that which I have seen with my Father”, so read ahead, and we shall join together then.

Until tomorrow…there is more…

Look for the daily devotional book “Equipped for Battle – From Generation to Generation”, the marriage book “So, You Want to Be Married”, “One Year in the Sermon on the Mount” and the new poetry book "Random Mushrooms Volumes I and II" and the new novel "Elizabeth County" in all major bookstore sites,
http://www.amazon.com ; http://www.barnesandnobles.com ; download to e-books, and find it locally at www.mrzlc.com/bookstore. All references are from "Strongs Concordance".







 

No comments:

Post a Comment