Sunday, August 21, 2022

Who Convinces Jesus of Sin? - John 8:46

The apostle John wrote how Jesus told the people who were questioning and challenging Him,You are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father you will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaks a lie, he speaks of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it. And because I tell you the truth, you believe me not, and in chapter eight and verse forty-six of his book John shared how Jesus asked the religious leaders, “which of you convinces me of sin?” where we read:

Which of you convinces me of sin? And if I say the truth, why do you not believe me?

The verse reads, “Which of you convinces me of sin? John began with the words, “which of you” which means “what person whether male or female” “convinces me” or “convicts, confutes, refutes an finds fault with me, Jesus” “of sin” which means “pertaining to missing the mark, error, mistake and violation of God's law”? John shared how Jesus asked His accusers who among them could find Him “guilty of sin”.

The verse continues, “And if I say the truth, why do you not believe me? John added the words, “and if I say the truth” which means “and whether, I, Jesus, utter, declare and proclaim what is truthful and not false”, “why do you not believe me” or “for what reason and cause do you, religious leaders, not trust in, rely upon, cling to and have confidence in me, Jesus”? John shared how Jesus reasoned that since He spoke what was truthful with His challengers, why did they not “trust in and rely upon” Him.

When we meditate upon John's words in this verse, we learn how Jesus began to question the people who challenged Him. He asked them who among them could “find fault or sin” within Him, and since He spoke “truthful” things to them, why didn't they put their “faith and trust” in Him. God sent His sinless Son Jesus to the world to speak the truth about His Kingdom and the “salvation” from the penalty of sin that Jesus would provide. Jesus died upon the cross and rose three days later not only so people could have their “sins” forgiven, but also so they might have personal relationship with God that will last for all eternity. No one is able to “convict” Jesus of sin, and those who are wise will yield their lives to Him as their personal “Savior and Lord”.

Next time John shares how Jesus tells the religious leaders, “He that is of God hears God's words”, so read ahead, and we shall join together then.

Until tomorrow…there is more…

Look for the daily devotional book “Equipped for Battle – From Generation to Generation”, the marriage book “So, You Want to Be Married”, “One Year in the Sermon on the Mount” and the new poetry book "Random Mushrooms Volumes I and II" and the new novel "Elizabeth County" in all major bookstore sites,
http://www.amazon.com ; http://www.barnesandnobles.com ; download to e-books, and find it locally at www.mrzlc.com/bookstore. All references are from "Strongs Concordance".







 

No comments:

Post a Comment