Saturday, September 23, 2023

Sackcloth Clothing When They Were Sick - Psalms 35:13

In Psalms chapter thirty five David said, “False witnesses did rise up; they laid to my charge things that I knew not. They rewarded me evil for good to the spoiling of my soul”, and in chapter thirty-five and verse thirteen of Psalms, David said, “but as for me, when they were sick, my clothing was sackcloth” where we read,

But as for me, when they were sick, my clothing was sackcloth:

I humbled my soul with fasting; and my prayer returned into my own bosom.

The verse begins, But as for me, when they were sick, my clothing was sackcloth: David began with the words, “But as for me” which means “however, nonetheless, notwithstanding and moreover concerning me, David”, “when they were sick” or “at the time and moment they, the false witnesses who rose up against David, were weak, ill, tired, sore and grieved”, “my clothing” which means “my, David's, garments, apparel or raiment” “was sackcloth” or “existed as mesh, course and loose sacks used in mourning and for bagging grain”. David said at the time and moment the people who spoke falsely against him were ill, sore and grieved, he put on “mesh material” which was used for holding grain and was a symbol of mourning.

The verse goes on to say,I humbled my soul with fasting; and my prayer returned into my own bosom. David continued with the words, “I humbled my soul” or “I, David, afflicted, bowed down, depressed and stooped my inner man, life, appetite, mind, living being and seat of desires, emotions and passions” “with fasting” which means “by not eating or drinking and depriving fleshly desires as an outward expression of spiritual goals”; “and my prayer returned” or “and my, David's, intercession, supplication or hymn came back and was restored” “into my own bosom” or “to my, David's, own personal lap, midst or within him”. David shared how he bowed down and afflicted his inner man with an outward show of “fasting”, and yet his “oration to God” on behalf of his foes came back to him unanswered.

When we meditate upon the words in this verse, we see how David previously acted toward the people who were lying against him. David mourned, fasted and prayed for his foes when they were ill and in trouble, however, neither of his acts had a desired affect upon them. God knows our hearts, and when we have been good to people who now lie or treat us in a wicked manner, we may find it difficult to understand why they do not reciprocate. Paul the apostle wrote, “there is none righteous, no, not one” (See Romans 3:10), and he wrote, “for all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God” (See Romans 3:23). In other words, everyone is guilty of violating God's law and in effect, Him. Even so, God sent His Son Jesus into the world to die on the cross for the sins of all mankind, and when we believe and trust in Him as our “Savior and Lord”, He will forgive our sins and grant us everlasting life with Him. Some people are certain to treat us badly even though we have previously done them good, but let us remember to give Jehovah God praise and honor because His goodness and grace has been extended to us and we have an opportunity to extend the same to our foes.

Next time David says, I behaved myself as though he had been my friend or brother, so read ahead, and we shall join together then.

Until tomorrow…there is more…

See more devotionals on the website "thewordfortodaywithray.com" or look for the daily devotional book “Equipped for Battle – From Generation to Generation”, the marriage book “So, You Want to Be Married”, “One Year in the Sermon on the Mount” and the new poetry book "Random Mushrooms Volumes I and II" and the new novel "Elizabeth County" in all major bookstore sites, http://www.amazon.com ; http://www.barnesandnobles.com ; download to e-books, and find it locally at www.mrzlc.com/bookstore. All references are from "Strongs Concordance".








 

No comments:

Post a Comment