Sunday, September 24, 2023

They Rejoiced in My Adversity - Psalms 35:15

In Psalms chapter thirty five David said, “False witnesses did rise up; they laid to my charge things that I knew not. They rewarded me evil for good to the spoiling of my soul. But as for me, when they were sick, my clothing was sackcloth: I humbled my soul with fasting; and my prayer returned into my own bosom. I behaved myself as though he had been my friend or brother: I bowed down heavily, as one that mourns for his mother”, and in chapter thirty-five and verse fifteen of Psalms, David said, “in my adversity they rejoiced” where we read,

But in my adversity they rejoiced, and gathered themselves together: yes, the abjects gathered themselves together against me, and I knew it not; they did tear me, and ceased not:

The verse begins, But in my adversity they rejoiced, and gathered themselves together:” David began with the words, “But in my adversity” which means “however, nonetheless, notwithstanding and moreover within my, David's, limping, stumbling and calamity” “they rejoiced” or “the false witnesses who opposed David were glad, arrogantly exulted and brightened up”, “and gathered themselves together” which means “and collected their own selves and assembled”. David said the false witnesses opposed to him were glad when he encountered stumbling and calamity, and they assembled themselves together in a united way.

The verse continues,yes, the abjects gathered themselves together against me, and I knew it not; they did tear me, and ceased not: David added the words, “yes, the abjects” or “even so and indeed the stricken, smitten and traducers” “gathered themselves together against me” which means “assembled and collected their own selves with one another in opposition to me, David”, “and I knew it not” or “and I, David, was unaware, did not perceive, discern, discriminate or distinguish their gathering together”; “they did tear me” which means “they, the false witnesses, rent asunder, reviled, beat the drum and gnashed their teeth at me, David”, “and ceased not” or “and did not remain silent, dumb or destroyed”. David wrote how the false witnesses who were stricken and smitten assemble to rip David apart even though he was unaware of their pernicious and continual plans.

When we meditate upon the words in this verse, we see how David's adversaries were glad he was suffering affliction, and they collected themselves together to revile and destroy him. There was only one major problem for these wicked individuals, God was watching and listening to David's plea for Him to intercede. There is no wrong that will not be made right, and there is no right that will not be rewarded, and because Jesus Christ came into the world to die for the sins of all mankind, anyone who believes and trusts in Him will be forgive of their sins and granted everlasting life with God. Jesus could identify with these words of David because false witnesses and abjects assembled in opposition to Him. (See Matthew 27:27-30, 39-44) In other words, God's judgment fell upon Jesus, and when wrongs are laid upon Him, those who surrender to Him will be protected and defended against those who oppose them even when they assemble together to make their wicked plans to destroy.

Next time David writes about, hypocritical mockers in feasts, so read ahead, and we shall join together then.

Until tomorrow…there is more…

See more devotionals on the website "thewordfortodaywithray.com" or look for the daily devotional book “Equipped for Battle – From Generation to Generation”, the marriage book “So, You Want to Be Married”, “One Year in the Sermon on the Mount” and the new poetry book "Random Mushrooms Volumes I and II" and the new novel "Elizabeth County" in all major bookstore sites, http://www.amazon.com ; http://www.barnesandnobles.com ; download to e-books, and find it locally at www.mrzlc.com/bookstore. All references are from "Strongs Concordance".








 

No comments:

Post a Comment