Saturday, September 23, 2023

As My Friend or Brother - Psalms 35:14

In Psalms chapter thirty five David said, “False witnesses did rise up; they laid to my charge things that I knew not. They rewarded me evil for good to the spoiling of my soul. But as for me, when they were sick, my clothing was sackcloth: I humbled my soul with fasting; and my prayer returned into my own bosom”, and in chapter thirty-five and verse fourteen of Psalms, David said, “I behaved myself as though he had been my friend or brother” where we read,

I behaved myself as though he had been my friend or brother:

I bowed down heavily, as one that mourns for his mother.

The verse begins, I behaved myself as though he had been my friend or brother:” David began with the words, “I behaved myself” which means “I, David, walked, departed, proceeded and lived in my own self” “as though he had been my friend” or “like and similar to the idea that the false witness was my, David's, intimate companion or fellow” “or brother” which means “or as a relative and kinsman”. David said he acted as though the false witness was his intimate companion or close relative.

The verse goes on to say,I bowed down heavily, as one that mourns for his mother. David continued with the words, “I bowed down heavily” or “I, David, crouched, prostrated and humble himself in a mournful way”, “as one that mourns” which means “similar to and in likeness to a person who is in sorrow and grieves” “for his mother” or “on behalf of the female progenitor and immediate ancestor of that person whether male or female”. David shared how he humbled himself in a mournful way like a person does for their own mother.

When we consider the words in this verse, we see how David previously acted toward those who were giving false testimony against him. David treated them like they were a close companion or family member. He humbled himself and grieved alongside of them like a person does at the death of their mother. In other words, David believed he previously treated those who were currently against him with compassion, love, identification and humility, however, they were now greatly opposed and as an enemy to him. This can be disheartening. Let us for a moment imagine how much Jehovah God has done for us and for people in the world. He sent His Son Jesus to be crucified on the cross for the sins of everyone which demonstrated His love in a humbling and magnificent way, and yet, people lie against Him, forsake Him and choose other gods to worship instead of Him. (See Romans 5:8) Jehovah God mourned for the state of mankind, and He is willing to give His mercy and grace to us when we submit to His Son Jesus as our personal “Lord and Savior”. Even though people forsake Him and His offer of salvation, God's hand is stretched out with an invitation to come to Him regardless of how we have treated Him in the past.

Next time David says, in my adversity they rejoiced, so read ahead, and we shall join together then.

Until tomorrow…there is more…

See more devotionals on the website "thewordfortodaywithray.com" or look for the daily devotional book “Equipped for Battle – From Generation to Generation”, the marriage book “So, You Want to Be Married”, “One Year in the Sermon on the Mount” and the new poetry book "Random Mushrooms Volumes I and II" and the new novel "Elizabeth County" in all major bookstore sites, http://www.amazon.com ; http://www.barnesandnobles.com ; download to e-books, and find it locally at www.mrzlc.com/bookstore. All references are from "Strongs Concordance".








 

No comments:

Post a Comment