Saturday, September 23, 2023

Rewarding Evil for Good - Psalms 35:12

In Psalms chapter thirty five David said, “False witnesses did rise up; they laid to my charge things that I knew not”, and in chapter thirty-five and verse twelve of Psalms, David said, “they rewarded me evil for good” where we read,

They rewarded me evil for good to the spoiling of my soul.

The verse begins, They rewarded me evil for good ...” David began with the words, “They rewarded me” which means “the false witnesses recompensed, requited and repaid me, David” “evil for good” or “bad, unpleasantness, misery and displeasing things in return and in place of pleasant, agreeable, excellent, rich and valuable things”. David shared how the “false witnesses” who were against him reciprocated wicked things to him for pleasant and agreeable things.

The verse goes on to say,... to the spoiling of my soul. David continued with the words, “to the spoiling” or “to the bereavement and loss” “of my soul” which means “pertaining to my, David's, inner man, life, appetite, mind, living being and seat of desires, emotions and passions”. David shared how the evil intentions of the “false witnesses” was to bereave, deprive and divest his inner man and being.

When we meditate upon the words in this verse, we learn how the enemies of David who lied against him intended to bereave and deprive his “soul”. They wanted him to be stripped of his value, worth and position with Jehovah God, and if David or others believed the testimony of his enemies, that place with God might be threatened. God loves and values every person, and this was demonstrated because He gave His only begotten Son Jesus to be crucified for the sins of the whole world. Everyone who yields to Him as their personal “Savior and Lord” will be forgiven of their sins and granted everlasting life with Him in Heaven, and regardless of what others say or testify falsely against us, our “soul” shall never be “spoiled” when we rely upon, cling to and trust in Jesus Christ and what He declares about us.

Next time David says, but as for me, when they were sick, my clothing was sackcloth, so read ahead, and we shall join together then.

Until tomorrow…there is more…

See more devotionals on the website "thewordfortodaywithray.com" or look for the daily devotional book “Equipped for Battle – From Generation to Generation”, the marriage book “So, You Want to Be Married”, “One Year in the Sermon on the Mount” and the new poetry book "Random Mushrooms Volumes I and II" and the new novel "Elizabeth County" in all major bookstore sites, http://www.amazon.com ; http://www.barnesandnobles.com ; download to e-books, and find it locally at www.mrzlc.com/bookstore. All references are from "Strongs Concordance".








 

No comments:

Post a Comment